Lump on chicken foot

Chicincity

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2019
North Carolina
My 4 year old brown leghorn developed bumblefoot in both her feet. I pulled the plug out of the one foot with no issues. The other foot was more swollen and the “scab” was recessed in her foot pad. I scraped it out as best as I could. Bottom of the foot cleared up very nicely but the swollen bump on her toe got worse. I consulted a vet and He said he thought it was an infection that was “walled” and need to be surgically removed. However he said try the antibiotics first. She has finished up the antibiotics but it doesn’t look any better. I’ve included a picture. Any suggestions? Surgery would be very expensive and I’m hoping there’s something else we can try. I love my poor little Joan and it definitely bothers her.
49E99BBA-BA1D-47A2-9904-FDCD24D51F00.jpeg

Oh that poor girl! What a terrible spot for bumblefoot. The webbing between the toes is chock full of pain receptors. Look at the greenish bruising. That is a sign she is probably feeling considerable pain.

I had an adopted older hen that came to me with severe bumblefoot on both feet, and they were swollen much like that. I treated her with soaks and occasional pus removal for two years. I finally gave her a 21 day course of a powerful antibiotic cephalexin. It helped a great deal, reduced the swelling, but it never went completely away.

I don't know what to suggest other than to allow the vet to do the surgery. It's really her best chance for a normal life.

Thanks! She’s molting right now so I can’t grab her to soak. Might try soaking in TricideNeo when she’s refeathered. I’ve heard good things about it and I guess it can’t hurt to try. I was hoping there was some way I could open the sore and drain it?

Chicken wounds have a solid waxy pus, not fluid. You would be opening the wound to debride, not to drain. It will be painful for her, but it could help her. It what I did for two years to try to treat my hen with the severe bumblefoot. I would be inclined to try it.

Back
Top Bottom