Lump on Hen's neck

Honeysucklefeathers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
western KY
Hey everyone. Was just out checking on everyone and picked up one of the Sizzle hens. I thought she was missing some feathers do to the Roo doing his thing but on closer examination, realized she has a lump about the size of an eraser on the right side of her neck. It isn't red or irritated but the feathers are missing. It isn't hard but not mushy either. She didn't act like it was sore either. She is acting fine otherwise. Don't think it's roo damage because it isn't red or runny. Just a grey lump. It was getting dark so didn't get a pic. It would be hard to see anyway. Any ideas??? Wondering if I should try to open it, altho there doesn't appear to be a "head" of any sort?

hu.gif

No tick. I looked at it really good and so did my DH. She of course has black skin so with the puffiness it's kinda grey. She doesn't act like it hurts. Just don't know if I should just leave it alone or open it.

I haven't heard of anything like that before, but human skin isn't perfect either. Maybe it's a mole or a little lipoma or other benign bump. If it is anything serious, I would expect it to change and grow fairly rapidly. Have you ever been petting your dog or cat and felt a little bump under their skin and wonder what on earth it might be? Same kinda thing...just kinda check on it every time you pick her up.

Quote:
Not on her crop. It's more on the back and side of her neck and it just sticks up there.

I did think about it being something like I've felt on my dogs before. I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu and she has these little bumps come up on her.
Vet showed me how to open them. When I do it's kinda like a pimple and she acts like it's a little uncomfortable to touch. The hen didn't seem to mind me touching it. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom