Lump on her face? Any help would be great

Sivory

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hello,

I recently purchased a bantam Orpington hen, she’s been with me about 1.5 months.
None of my other chickens are displaying any sign of something similar.
It started with a lump kind of between her eye and jaw, and she isn’t exhibiting any respiratory symptoms.
A day later & it’s now causing her eye to close, what could this be?
I’ve given her some oxymav B but it’s don’t nothing.
I’ve also tried to drain it, but nothing comes out.
I’ve attached a photo of the bad eye and the good eye to show how clear the other side is.
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5082.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 4
From the swollen face and foamy eye, my guess is the
at she may have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Does any of your flock members have a history of respiratory issues, sneezing or gasping? She could have gotten it from up your flock or she might have been a carrier, and any stress can bring out symptoms. When exposed chickens may show symptoms within days to weeks.

I would flush her eye twice daily with saline or an eye wash found in pharmacies. The apply an antibiotic drop or ointment such as Terramycin, ciprofloxacin, or Neosporin. If you can ask your vet to give you Tylosin, Tiamulin, or enrofloxacin to treat her symptoms, that would be good. If you can press out any gunk from her sinus cavity around her eye, that may help.

If she has MG, she will be a carrier even after she recovers. They can get it from wild birds or other poultry. Make sure that she can see all enough to get food and water. Here is an article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Can you open the beak and take photos of the inside?

How long after you got her did she start showing symptoms?
I’ve had her for about 1.5-2 months and she’s only started with this lump in the last 2 days, I’ll take a photo of inside her beak & post it

From the swollen face and foamy eye, my guess is the
at she may have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Does any of your flock members have a history of respiratory issues, sneezing or gasping? She could have gotten it from up your flock or she might have been a carrier, and any stress can bring out symptoms. When exposed chickens may show symptoms within days to weeks.

I would flush her eye twice daily with saline or an eye wash found in pharmacies. The apply an antibiotic drop or ointment such as Terramycin, ciprofloxacin, or Neosporin. If you can ask your vet to give you Tylosin, Tiamulin, or enrofloxacin to treat her symptoms, that would be good. If you can press out any gunk from her sinus cavity around her eye, that may help.

If she has MG, she will be a carrier even after she recovers. They can get it from wild birds or other poultry. Make sure that she can see all enough to get food and water. Here is an article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thanks for your reply, no, none of my other girls have ever had anything like this & I’ve had them from eggs.
I’ll take her to the vet and ask about some antibiotics but she’s not showing any other signs of illness, and her other eye is completely clear.

Can you look in the eye really well to see if perhaps she has something stuck in it like a piece of debris/dirt? Sometimes getting something in the eye can irritation like this, but the foreign material will have to be removed/pressed out.

If the swelling and bubbles is due to respiratory infection, often the swelling has pus - again that will have to be pressed out in order for the eye to heal.

Yesterday afternoon her eye started to open again so I thought we were on the mend, but this morning is closed and the swelling is getting worse, it’s now a soft/squishy lump all along the right half of her face. She looks like she’s got some discharge from her nostril too, it’s clear.
She has a vet appointment at 3:30pm this afternoon.
I picked up a few of the other girls yesterday afternoon to just check them out, they were 3 that I bought around the same time and are about 4 months old, they don’t have any symptoms at all but they have a smell that I can only describe as smelling like a human does when they have a bad flu/cold - could this be a thing?
My other girls that I grew from eggs don’t have this at all.

Glad you will be seeing the vet. Please keep us posted on how the visit goes.

Noticing a few more starting with symptoms and a smell, then likely it's respiratory infection. Since it's all newbies and they are just now becoming symptomatic after this period of time, they may have picked up something the existing flock is a carrier of, but those remain asymptomatic.

Hard to know where symptoms/illnesses come from at times.

update: We had our vet appointment, no respiratory infection, apparently the discharge is due to the lump pushing on her sinus.
They think she’s hit it/been pecked and it’s developed from there. They drained it, gave her anti inflammatory medication and an antibiotic

Back
Top Bottom