Lump on newly hatched chicks bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CedarValley, Sep 30, 2013.

1. CedarValley

CedarValley New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    This morning I had my first two little chicks hatch SO exciting!! I noticed a lump on the bottom of one right away and it look well kinda gross to be honest like it's something that should be inside. However since I'm new to chickens all together and I've never ever seen baby chicks before hatching our own I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My guess is not but any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much! (sorry the picture is upside down)

[​IMG]

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    I think it might b due to the umbilical cord and when the chick was in the process of absorbing the yolk sack hope this helps

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    The very first chick I ever hatched had that happened. Being a newbie and with my inexperience, he died. I later learned that I could have in fact saved him. Use hemorrhoid cream on the little protrusion. It's coming out of his bum right? This should reduce swelling enough for him to poop and if you continue to use the hemorrhoid cream it should help a lot.

4. CedarValley

CedarValley New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    Thank you, Yes Chippysmom I believe it is coming out of him bum!! I'm going to get hemorrhoid cream now so I'll let you know how it goes. Hoping he doesn't die. One of the other chicks died last night while it was trying to hatch and I was pretty upset about it.

Any idea how long it might take to heal or go away? Luckily we only have 2 chicks as of now so I'm hoping the other chick doesn't clumsily step on it and injure the poor chick.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    There is usually one casualty with every hatch, don't beat yourself up. I'm very anxious to see if the hemorrhoid cream helps. I've read about it but never tried it or seen people try it. The most important thing is for him to poop. Mine never did, he got backed up and his food had nowhere to empty. So he passed. But I didn't know about the hemorrhoid meds then.

6. CedarValley

CedarValley New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    I'll defiantly let you know how it goes and tell you how long it took to go away/heal. Like I said he hatch this AM so I'm VERY thankful for this site and your information, without it I'm sure he would pass. Thank you again! :)

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Remember he's not guarenteed to live. Hee needs to poop in less than 24 hours or else things aren't looking good. Do you think the swelling's gone down since applying cream?

8. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    How's he doing?

9. CedarValley

CedarValley New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    **UPDATE** I have applied the cream about every 12 hours (so 3 times now) It had gotten kinda large before I put the cream on it. It has gone down it's now smaller than when he originally hatched.) YAY The last time I put the cream on it looked like he had poopy on it so I'm hoping that it was his poop and not the other chicks!! I'll keep you posted but it does seem to be working!! Thank you!! :)

10. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    That's super awesome! I'm glad I could help! I remember being so confused and helpless when I first had this happen, and I'm so glad to help someone who is in my position. I always look back and think "I wish my present self could tell my newbie self what to do." and I'm now I'm living through you. You're my newbie self. That sounds so weird. I promise I'm not crazy.

Buf you have no idea how happy I am to have saved a chick that had the same thing happen.

Mine was named Uno because he was the first to hatch. Are you naming yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by