Lump or hump thing on neck or shoulder (pics)

phelpcd1

Songster
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I just noticed today that my precious and favorite chicken, Ms. Louise, has this lump thing on the right side of her neck/shoulder area. She reminds me of my own neck, like it's cocked to the side (mine is due to jaw being broken). I felt of it and it feels like a rather small and hard lump on the side of her actual neck structure - it appears huge on that right side altho i'm thinking it's because of the way her head is cocking over to the left. She is running, eating, drinking and pooping like normal. She is about 16 weeks old - I've only had her 4 weeks now (newbie chicken mommy). I really don't know when this started - I just noticed early this am while watching her...and I'm watching them all the time. Does anyone have any ideas what this is, and if I should be concerned? I have 4 pullets all together around the same age. All others seem fine - well, Fred (aka Ethel) my EE that I've had for a couple of weeks does this sneezing/honking thing sometimes, especially when eating, but she's done it since the car ride home. All esle seems normal and fine.

Pics of Louise from today:

It feels like a small hard lump.......I don't believe it's the crop....granted I'm new to chickens but according to the anatomy charts I've seen, the crop is much lower. This lump is just about midway down her neck.

Nope, it's very small and on the right side of her neck structure - not below or in front but the actual side. Like it's on the side of her bones. I will try to get a better pic when my husband is home this evening - kinda hard to do by myself. There is no sac like thing that I can feel.

Well, my husband could not feel any "lump"..........he thinks I'm just feeling her neck bones. You can't see anything different from the front view either so no pics. He hadn't noticed this either and thinks it looks really odd, but neither of us have a clue. I will just watch her I guess - she is still eating and acting normal. My husband said she looks as tho she has a crook neck - like she slept wrong...hopefully it's not wry neck -altho i didn't think that happened after the chick phase. I'm going to p/u some vitamins to add to their water just in case tho.

Update: well, we inspected Louise again and determined that it's just her neck - it is in a kind of S shape. We can pull her head up to stretch it all out normal but she puts it right back into the S. I found some info on here about giving vitamin E/selenium oil for "wry" neck.....not sure if that's what it is exactly (she's about 4 or so months old), but I'm going to pick some up and see if it helps at all. She is still running, eating and drinking....altho I do notice that she will plop down to eat alot.

I just noticed today that my precious and favorite chicken, Ms. Louise, has this lump thing on the right side of her neck/shoulder area. She reminds me of my own neck, like it's cocked to the side (mine is due to jaw being broken). I felt of it and it feels like a rather small and hard lump on the side of her actual neck structure - it appears huge on that right side altho i'm thinking it's because of the way her head is cocking over to the left. She is running, eating, drinking and pooping like normal. She is about 16 weeks old - I've only had her 4 weeks now (newbie chicken mommy). I really don't know when this started - I just noticed early this am while watching her...and I'm watching them all the time. Does anyone have any ideas what this is, and if I should be concerned? I have 4 pullets all together around the same age. All others seem fine - well, Fred (aka Ethel) my EE that I've had for a couple of weeks does this sneezing/honking thing sometimes, especially when eating, but she's done it since the car ride home. All esle seems normal and fine.

Pics of Louise from today:

Please Help!! Did you ever find out what was wrong with her? Did she get better?? My Buff orpington has the exact same issue and looks exactly like the picture of yours. I can't find anything on the internet to determine what is going on with her 😔

Back
Top Bottom