Lump visible in throat. Thoughts?

FluffyBottomBantams

Run by roosters
Apr 13, 2020
A backwoods coop in NH
Hello all, this rooster has been noticeably shaking his head and breathing with his mouth open every few breaths noticeably since last night. We opened up his beak and he’s got this whiteish/flesh colored lump on the roof/right side of his mouth. His breath smells off too. but he’s drinking and eating like a pig and not to mention fighting, but when standing around while his hens eat he does keep his head in and is pretty fluffed up, and since he’s not crowing I bet he’s not feeling the best . Any ideas on what this is and how we can make him feel better? (I’m doubting canker because I though that was more yellow and “cheesy” in appearance) TIA y’all we really appreciate it :)
2C88FAC3-BF11-431F-B01E-FE21DAF525C1.jpeg

Can get better photos, he’s just stubborn and unwilling to hold still

BFD71645-7669-4A03-BA3B-4A42B25AEA9A.png

his eyes look normal and haven’t changed this was a photo from last Saturday , I just edited the first photo a ton so the throat was as visible as possible. A tumor ? Meaning cancer or something more manageable? Are there any other possibilities?

It is hard to know for sure what to do about it without seeing a vet. @casportpony is one of the more experienced chickens owners here, and her comment in post 3 is with years of seeing Mareks disease and tumors in chickens. Tumors can be caused by other viruses or can just occur on their own, without being Mareks. Infection inside the throat probably would be yellow or cream colored. If down the road, you should lose her, it would be prudent to have your state poultry vet do a necropsy to find out what it was. Hopefully, it will go away, but here is a list of state vets where you can get info about a possible necropsy in the future:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom