Lump visible in throat. Thoughts?

He’s a bantam New Hampshire red. A couple years old and I’m not sure how much he weighs exactly, but the standard calls for 34 oz. this rooster usually a very hefty, healthy bird but I’m assuming he weighs a little less than that currently because He recently had a bout of MG and was feeling a little skinny, we put him through a round of antibiotics and gained some weight back.

87144718-E22B-44F4-8FC9-1FD97B7BD3E9.jpeg

so this is the same bird, he is still eating and drinking and crowing but It seems hard for him. The mass in his mouth is larger and white now. His face is white and crusty too, and his vent is red and irritated looking. We believe it is thrush, as he was recently heavily dosed with oxytet. Any suggestions on treatment and dosing?

It looks like he has had eye drainage that has dried on his face. I would try to clean that off, and put some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day. I would try to se a vet. Diflucan (fluconazole) can treat thrush, but it may save time and money to see a vet. Dosage is 5-10 mg per kilogram (every 2.2 pounds) once or twice daily for 7 days.

Last edited:
Here is one online store I found that sells fluconazole:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIrd6llJXk8wIVL3FvBB1U-wh0EAQYASABEgIss_D_BwE

Nystatin or Medistatin powder is also a treatment for fungal thrush infections. Here is a link for that, and use the dosage at the bottom of the page mixed in a little water:
https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=3760c7059&_ss=r
We ordered the medication from Jedds, we are hoping that this is just thrush and not mareks, being as one is treatable and the other isn’t. Thank you all for your input.

Anybody got ideas about food for him to eat? He’s not really into eating pellets right now, I think they’re hard to swallow. He’s eating grass, grapes, mealworms, cracked corn and egg every once in awhile, he’s also got rooster booster with probiotics in his water

Back
Top Bottom