Lurker on BYC needs some advice!

Dette

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Hello Folks,

I am a recent chicken lover, got started after a move to the country which I dreamed about for years in the suburbs...I thought I just wanted to have chickens for the eggs, and have been getting great egg production from my 6 chickens. (not really sure what kind they are, I got them from Tractor Supply last year around this time) My whole family has enjoyed fresh eggs! However, after lurking for several months on BYC and reading all the posts and links about incubators, I fell in love with the idea of hatching my own chickens. Last year I ordered 25 Cornish Rock X birds for meat, but after reading some things about the problems that those types of birds can develop ( I didn't have any trouble with mine though) I thought I would give hatching my own chicks for meat consumption a try.

I read and read and read tons of ideas and designs on BYC, and felt confident that I could (with help) make an incubator. So, last weekend, my husband and my dad made this great incubator (with lots of helpful hints from me while I peered over their shoulders) and I have been trying to get it set as far as humidity and temperature. I can keep it at a steady 99.5-100.5 temperature, my humidity runs around 60%-65% with no problems, and I was pretty sure I was going to put my eggs in tomorrow. I was doing some last minute reading and have a quick question about ventilation. Some people talk about putting holes in the incubator for ventilation. Other people say with a small incubator, vent holes are not necessary. If I put holes in it, I will need another day or so to readjust the temp and humidity. I just wanted to get feed back as to whether vent holes are necessary. I have a small computer fan inside for air circulation, and I have a small hole for a tube with a funnel in it to add water when needed. Are those sufficient? How do I know if it has enough ventilation?

I appreciate any opinions or ideas, as this is my first time hatching, and I am almost as nervous as when I gave birth! lol! just kidding, but seriously, I really don't want to mess this up!

Good for you on trying hatching!!!! Yes, your incubator needs to have ventilation holes in it. When humidity needs to be higher, you would put plugs in it. Hope that this helps!!!! Nancy

Thank you Nancy! I guess since I've waited this long, I can wait another day. I put a vent hole in on the far side, which coupled with the one I have for adding water to the pan for humidity, I hope is enough. I will wait another 24 hours to put my eggs in (sniffle) I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom