1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lurker signing in from Washington state

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sunshinebees, May 17, 2017.

1. sunshinebees

sunshinebees Just Hatched

May 16, 2017
    Arlington, Wa
    Hi all,
    Been a lurker for a long time. I've had a mixed flock for years and have settled on the Australorps as my main flock bird. I'm looking for quality stock to either replace or improve my current lorps which come from hatchery stock. Any quality breeders shipping eggs to Wa. state?

Take care,
    Mike

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! I look forward to seeing you around and photos of your flock!
    Sue

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Mike and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest checking out the buy/sell/trade forum to see what's currently on offer, but you need to have made 20 posts before you can participate. You can also search for your breed thread and get to know what's going on.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

5. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Hi Mike, Welcome:D... 2 Australorp beauties in my tiny flock. I can see why you chose them. I think you can connect with some quality breeders through the Australorp Breed Thread.

6. sunshinebees

May 16, 2017
    Arlington, Wa
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    CTKen, I'll check out the state thread. Thanks

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with CTken, hopefully you will find other BYCers living near you.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh gosh, you are going to love the Aussie breed! All I ever kept for years were Black Australorps. They are hardy in all weather, they stay clean looking all year long, very soft thick feathering, green sheen to the feathers and wow, they rarely have egg laying issues or other illness. Just fabulous birds!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our roost! :)

9. TominWa

TominWa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2017
    Montesano Wa.
    My Coop
    I'm not too far from you and went with the Buff Orpingtons and some Cherry Eggers. All advise I got locally was they were good for our weather. I'm sure there are many other breeds but those seem to be far and away what is around my area of the state.

10. sunshinebees

May 16, 2017
    Arlington, Wa
    I like the Orpingtons as well. Have a few of them now. There are a few decent Orp breeders around and a lot of them on craigslist...not all hatchery birds.

I just like my Australorps better and I don't mind having to search a little for good ones. I'm sick that way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by