lymphoid leukosis - what next?

I've had the opposite experience. I'm 4 generations into a AVL positive flock. I hatch my own chicks from PCR tested positive hens. I've had no losses or symptomatic birds for 15 months. All 28 hens where laying last fall and some have restarted this month. (They are not great laying breeds) . 2 years ago, I added 5-month-old pullets.... They were dead in 3 months. I don't know what to do now. I've stopped hatching because I'm inbreeding so much. Also, I can't sell these birds or get rid of extra roosters because they are contagious to other flocks and potentially wildlife.

I'll answer this. The PCR test requires a blood sample from little blood from a toenail that you clip a tiny distance into the quick. The lab sends you a test kit with vials for the blood samples. You will be requesting the test for the specific pathogen. These tests are rather expensive and you can't just request a broad "test for everything bad". The lab has to know what to test for specifically.

Here's who to contact: Zoologix Inc 9811 Owensmouth Ave, STE 4, Chatsworth, CA, 91311-9547 818-717-8880 www.zoologix.com This test is around $100 and the test kit is around $25.
I tested mine at RAL labs. It's 35 dollars per bird but the overnight shipping is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom