Lyons hatching experts - please help regarding humidity settings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wahmommy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I borrowed a Lyons Turn X classroom incubator from my son's teacher and I am incubating 6 RIR eggs in it. The instructions say temp should be set at 100 degrees and wet bulb at 86 (which translates to 56 percent humidity) for the first 18 days. Right now I'm at 100/87 (59% humidity). Is this too high? I am on day 2. I see recommendations on BYC anywhere from 35-40% to 50%- almost 60% seems too high...

I didn't know how to set the fountain up so I just filled it and put it in the incubator and I got 86/87 wet bulb - not sure if I should try and remove some of the water or not.

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    If you turn the nut on the neck of the bottle clockwise so it moves closer to the bottle it will fill less water compartments which in turn will lower the humidity. I'd probably pour out the water that's already there and start over. Set the bottle so it fills a few compartments and let it stabilize and take a reading. Adjust the nut away from the bottle to add compartments till you get the humidity you want. Playing with the humidity for a few hours now won't have any ill effects.

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Okay thanks! Do you think the recommended humidity is too high at 56 percent?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by