M-F? 8 weeks 2 days old. SLW & SS

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I’ve raised chicks from my hens sitting on them. i’ve usually been correct in my guesses for their gender. I’ve never brought chicks in and stuck them under a hen. So I really don’t know what to look for with these two breeds. I’m not familiar with them as chicks.
Any guesses?

It's tough to tell in videos because they are moving and you can't get a good fix on the combs. I see none that look like obvious cockerels at this point, but I would keep an eye on the one Wyandotte with large white shoulder patches. That can be a sign of a cockerel in that variety.

It's tough to tell in videos because they are moving and you can't get a good fix on the combs. I see none that look like obvious cockerels at this point, but I would keep an eye on the one Wyandotte with large white shoulder patches. That can be a sign of a cockerel in that variety.
Good to know about the white on the silver laced Wyandottes. Thank you!
If you could take photos of them individually, it would be much easier to tell gender. As far as I can tell, they all look like pullets.
I’ll try to take some stop-action screenshots 👍🏻

The Wyandottes are pullets. They have little to no comb/wattles at this age and I don’t see the definite cockerel patch of black at the base of any of their necks. The lacing quality is just very poor which gives you the white patches on the shoulders.

The Wyandottes are pullets. They have little to no comb/wattles at this age and I don’t see the definite cockerel patch of black at the base of any of their necks. The lacing quality is just very poor which gives you the white patches on the shoulders.
That is what I was thinking. One of them does not have a rose comb. Lacing quality isn’t paramount for me. I’m not showing them. Just loving them. 🥰
0FC7B219-65AA-4BB8-A9E5-FAAE6197E4CE.jpeg

No rose comb on left. Rose comb and the most white on right

2E5CA522-1A16-445F-A513-0799BDD902EE.jpeg

No rose comb.

01A007AD-A3AC-4CF2-9925-CF141A2955DB.jpeg

Rose comb. Most white.

1A893CFE-EDBF-4642-B904-FE3DF7699728.jpeg
No rose comb

59D318E0-7146-4785-8968-552A9CAF86D7.jpeg
Rose comb. Less white.

I’ll be trying to get pictures of the Speckled Sussex. They’re harder to find differences so I’m never sure I didn’t actually take pictures of the same bird over and over. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom