Machete vs Hatchet?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I am wondering what everyones thoughts are on using a machete vs a hatchet when butchering. I am thinking that when using a machete you can get a much harder strike just because you don't have to aim so hard because you have a much larger blade to work with. I was just wondering. We usually always use a hatchet.

I would think hatchet would work better. Its much heavier, and all of the force is directed on a much smaller area, so you get MUCH more power on the blade.

A hatchet might work, but they are typically not as sharp. I personally wouldn't use one.

a good sharp hatchett would work the best.because youd get a quicker cleaner cut.thus a quicker death.

The thing about a machete is your aim would not have to be as good as with a hatchet, I would think.

Also, machetes are pretty heavy, and really really sharp! I haven't butchered yet, however, I have thought I would do it with a machete as I don't think I could for sure hit the neck with a swing of a hatchet. You should see me try and pound a post in with a mallet! I just swing and miss.

I think if the math is actually done on paper, you'll have more force per inch with the hatchet.

However, I don't see you having any problems using a machete. I think you will still get *enough* force to do the deed, while having a longer blade.

As long as both instruments are kept sharp and in working order, both will work with the same results in the end. I think the question really is: "What's your preference?"

If you fear missing your target go with the longer blade, just put sufficient force behind a well sharpened blade.

-Kim

i prefer to use a sharp knife and slit throats. it is a quick kill, easier on my arms, no fear of missing the target zone..... just my 2 cents

julie
smile.png

My personal preference is a nice heavy and very sharp steel meat cleaver. Nice clean and fast cut and I feel it is more sanitary as hatchets seem to rust and discolor with time even when they are cleaned and taken care of properly.

What is the best way to secure the bird for a hatchet job. I made a killing cone and it didn't work very well with the hatchet. Is the two nails trick the way to go. I tell you, we just did three birds and two of the three weren't that clean. I used a knife and cut the head off and that worked the best the first time. Then the other two gave me a real hard time with a struggle before the kill. Kinda of disturbing, ya know.

I've found that hanging the bird by its feet (with nylon cord) that they become completely docile and accepting of their fate. I then, using a VERY sharp knife, cut their throat and allow them to bleed out. No feathers flying, chickens running without heads, or blood everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom