Mad about e-mail etiquette *RANT*

Chickenmaven

Songster
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
Michigan
If I am out of line here, I am sure someone will let me know.
Here goes: I am involved in some committees that coordinate with our local government. I am an unpaid volunteer. One salaried member of local government has started sending copies of scanned articles as attachments to e-mails. These e-mails never explain the relevency of the article or suggest why we should read them - we just get an attachment. The article is always about something in another city or state: "Fresno, California has implemented a complex formula for calculating tax base..." "Skokie, IL is utlizing a recycling program in senior housing." My beef is that this person should have the courtesy to type out a sentence or two explaining why the article is worth my time & how it might work for us. I feel that an attachment without a note is rude. I would only accept this abruptness from a supervisor at work or a grad school professor: "Here, read this."
Last night, I answered Reply All to one of these doozies: "Hello Public Servant X, Could you please share YOUR thoughts on how this might benefit our community? How can we utilize this?" I feel that this person really needs to know that it is poor form to send random attachments to dozens of local folks. Agree?
(My DH thinks this guy is just trying to look busy...)

I am very hesitant to open any attachment, due to viruses.

Sounds to me that he's a little over-enthusiastic about his job. Maybe he needs you to help him be a little more professional in his emails. Tell him what he's doing wrong and what he can do to improve his email-ethics. Being honest (and kind) with him and sharing your thoughts could help the situation immensely.

Back
Top Bottom