Rant/vent about Dutch Indian runner duck market..

@Loopeend I feel your pain

I am glad you shared your frustration with duck keepers who understand and care. Now let it go. Its unhealthy for you to be in such a rage.

I am so happy that you are being a good example to make things better in The Netherlands. Spreading the word and the knowledge to others to turn them into good animal parents is a wonderful approach. I cant see your website from my 'phone as I got an error message about incompatible protocols. I look forward to seeing it on my laptop. Meanwhile photos of your ducks would bevappreciated by many of us duckaholics as we too cant get enough duckisfaction

Last edited:
I do find the whole crested thing disgusting.

I think it is dreadful to intentionally breed crested ducks, but the ducks themselves are not disgusting. My son got a little female crested pekin, by chance as a few days old, from Tractor Supply. We didn't know she was crested for the first days as she was smaller than the others and we just thought maybe 24 hours younger with the feathers on her head coming in late. Well she is cute, loud, full of personality, and can fly across the back yard, but not gain altitude. My son is not beeeding ducks and so her crested gene will not be passed on.

I have a crested pekin drake. He is a rescue and special needs, but not because of his crest. As a duckling, he was attacked by a raccoon and lost the lower third of his upper bill, some of his lower bill and has a deformed end to his remaining bill. He is not very bright ("thick as 2 short planks" as my Dad would hsve said) but I think that is from inadequate nutrition during his treatment and recovery rather than neurological deficit associated with his crest. All my rescues are male and so he, too, will not pass on his crested gene.

He is tightly bonded with one of my muscovy: the pair are inseperable. The little Pekin sleeps in a dog crate to stop him being bullied by the bigger pekin drakes, but his bonded pekin drake sleeps on top of the crate and reaches down to "talk" to his little crested friend.

Even crested ducks with neurological problems aren't disgusting. They are innocent victims of their genes like all creatures with congenital abnormality. The deserve love and compassion.

Back
Top Bottom