Madder than a wet hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doodadman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Doodadman

Doodadman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    It's raining today and my girl are wet. I have never seen them mad. Is this just something they say?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    lol I've never heard that before

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    It's an old country saying. I have never seen a mad hen, either. Maybe they just look mad when they are wet.

4. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee

My grandfather said that to break up a sitting hen they would dunk her in a rain barrel.

Thus the saying.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My hens LOVE the rain! They stay out in all day much to my disapproval... Most of the time I limit them but I have never seen them mad while wet. Now I have seen them mad when I run out of treats when they have a looonnngggg baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwkkkkkk baawwwwkkk saying in english GIVE US SOME MORE NOW!!!! LOL

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My Diva's HATE the rain. My Jersey Giant BAAWWWKS at me like I'm somehow causing this and can make it stop. They just hunker down under their house and REFUSE to come out.

7. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Wait 'til you see them in snow! We had a very snowy winter last year and my flock practically refused to come out even when I'd shoveled the run. One of the hens flew through the human-door into the un-shoveled garden and sunk right in up to her crop. That was one angry hen!

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    In a downpour they seem to be more irritated than mad. Living in the sticks we often heard this saying when somebodys mom was looking for them with a switch. When moms were really mad they were madder than a wet hornet, although the switch stung whether from a wet hen or hornet.

1 person likes this.
  9. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My girls love the rain - but they hate the water hose! As soon as I pick it up, they all run for the coop.

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well I've been 'round a woman scorned and it aint purty![​IMG] So a wet hen would pale in comparison. Rain= another day at the office, Wet by hose unwillingly=most evil thing in their day.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by