Made a coop for 3, now need a QUICK coop for 9

Mine sharing a pic?

Also, what about metal, resin, versus wood? Experiences? Metal is substantially cheaper but not sure how well it would holdup.
Sure! We aren't done yet. Plan to add another tarp probably tomorrow. My 5 aren't a fan of roost bars so it hasn't been a priority yet, I'm adding another run to the existing in the next week or two and we are installing a swamp cooler in the next week or two as well and possibly a small fan. I placed them in a location that was close to power and water. We went with metal for cost purposes because just the 8x10 platform cost almost $400 in just wood and it's honestly a lot sturdier than I originally expected. It's stood up to winds of 40 so far. We have cut out 6 vent holes and the run is anchored to the shed/platform and anchored with concrete. It's still a work in progress but so far I'm pretty happy with it. The current fluff butts like to hang in the run of my chick coop, I think they'll be upset in about 2 weeks when the others come out and they can't use it. 😂 Yes, I have solar fairy lights hanging. They weren't completely used to pitch black, there was always a small glow of light at night. I felt bad. 🤣

Attachments

• 20220409_112702.jpg
    20220409_112702.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220409_112716.jpg
    20220409_112716.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220409_112749.jpg
    20220409_112749.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220409_112802.jpg
    20220409_112802.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 4
Lol I dig the lights! It looks great. The metal sheds are so much less money. Did you just put hardware cloth over the windows? Are you keeping the existing shed door?
Thank you for sharing pics!

Lol I dig the lights! It looks great. The metal sheds are so much less money. Did you just put hardware cloth over the windows? Are you keeping the existing shed door?
Thank you for sharing pics!
Oh absolutely. We stumbled upon a deal at home depot one day when going for garden hoses after debating on what to do for a couple months. Hubby wanted them secure as all the effort I've put in from egg to outside and wood and resin were just too far out of budget. No hardware cloth currently until the need arises, they are just like floor vents with a slightly bigger opening(I can't think of the actual name). They have been placed different directions so they can catch the wind no matter the direction as it changes a lot here. I am keeping the current doors because I feel with as wide as they are it'll help with air and circulation throughout the day plus it has 2 holes I can place locks through the handles so I know a person(people steal the oddest stuff here) nor animal can get to them without us noticing. Things will probably change over time as I see how they settle and I learn more as a first timer but I'm super ecstatic with my chicken adventure so far!

Sure! We aren't done yet. Plan to add another tarp probably tomorrow. My 5 aren't a fan of roost bars so it hasn't been a priority yet, I'm adding another run to the existing in the next week or two and we are installing a swamp cooler in the next week or two as well and possibly a small fan. I placed them in a location that was close to power and water. We went with metal for cost purposes because just the 8x10 platform cost almost $400 in just wood and it's honestly a lot sturdier than I originally expected. It's stood up to winds of 40 so far. We have cut out 6 vent holes and the run is anchored to the shed/platform and anchored with concrete. It's still a work in progress but so far I'm pretty happy with it. The current fluff butts like to hang in the run of my chick coop, I think they'll be upset in about 2 weeks when the others come out and they can't use it. 😂 Yes, I have solar fairy lights hanging. They weren't completely used to pitch black, there was always a small glow of light at night. I felt bad. 🤣
The run looks a lot nicer (the wire) than others I've seen. Do you have the link to where you got it?

If you go with a resin or wood shed, you might be surprised at how doable the ventilation is. I'm not very big or strong, but I can use a jig saw and a drill. Start with a small bit, then gradually work up to a bigger bit to cut holes into which the jig saw blade fits, and cut from one hole to the next, that's all there is to cutting for the ventilation. If it's wood, you can staple the hardware cloth up, then use the screws/washers to secure it. Or, find a handyman to do the ventilation work, making sure you get the ventillation well above the birds' backs while roosting.
The hoop coop might be sounding pretty good about now! You could have someone build the frame for you, or pound the t-posts and bend the hog/cattle panels into place, then you could cover it yourself to save money. That'd leave the heavy work to the more skilled and strong.

Oh absolutely. We stumbled upon a deal at home depot one day when going for garden hoses after debating on what to do for a couple months. Hubby wanted them secure as all the effort I've put in from egg to outside and wood and resin were just too far out of budget. No hardware cloth currently until the need arises, they are just like floor vents with a slightly bigger opening(I can't think of the actual name). They have been placed different directions so they can catch the wind no matter the direction as it changes a lot here. I am keeping the current doors because I feel with as wide as they are it'll help with air and circulation throughout the day plus it has 2 holes I can place locks through the handles so I know a person(people steal the oddest stuff here) nor animal can get to them without us noticing. Things will probably change over time as I see how they settle and I learn more as a first timer but I'm super ecstatic with my chicken adventure so far!
Thanks again! I wonder how well these hold up when it comes to rust. I know they're considered "rust resistant" because it shard to know how resistant they are. One other thing...did you put these right on the ground or lay concrete/wood first? I dont think you mentioned.

Thanks again! I wonder how well these hold up when it comes to rust. I know they're considered "rust resistant" because it shard to know how resistant they are. One other thing...did you put these right on the ground or lay concrete/wood first? I dont think you mentioned.
I'm not really sure about rust, we are in the desert and don't get much rain so it really wasn't a concern for us. The panels seem to have a good outer layer of paint that would prevent it, for how long I'm not sure but their customer service is absolutely amazing. We were missing a piece, they had it ready to mail the same day and I had the piece in a week plus an extra. The instructions gave 3 options for setting it- directly on the ground with an inlaid floor if you choose, a concrete slab, or a wooden platform. They also offer on their site different floor kits and wind kits(which I was unaware of until after it was built 😂) We were going to do a concrete slab but needed a permit. Seemed like an unnecessary hassle so we went with a wooden platform and the platform is anchored with concrete, and the run is anchored to the sheds platform and in concrete. We are actually expecting bursts of 60 mph tomorrow and Tuesday with lows in the 30s. So I'll know the full strength everything can take wind wise, my 5 that are currently out there will be inside those 2 nights for really my own piece of mind because I don't know it's true strength yet. My 2 and 3 week old chicks will be happy to see them again though, they seemed a little sad when they couldn't see them anymore. I'm done rambling now, I promise. 😂

Back
Top Bottom