Made a coop for 3, now need a QUICK coop for 9

I'm not really sure about rust, we are in the desert and don't get much rain so it really wasn't a concern for us. The panels seem to have a good outer layer of paint that would prevent it, for how long I'm not sure but their customer service is absolutely amazing. We were missing a piece, they had it ready to mail the same day and I had the piece in a week plus an extra. The instructions gave 3 options for setting it- directly on the ground with an inlaid floor if you choose, a concrete slab, or a wooden platform. They also offer on their site different floor kits and wind kits(which I was unaware of until after it was built 😂) We were going to do a concrete slab but needed a permit. Seemed like an unnecessary hassle so we went with a wooden platform and the platform is anchored with concrete, and the run is anchored to the sheds platform and in concrete. We are actually expecting bursts of 60 mph tomorrow and Tuesday with lows in the 30s. So I'll know the full strength everything can take wind wise, my 5 that are currently out there will be inside those 2 nights for really my own piece of mind because I don't know it's true strength yet. My 2 and 3 week old chicks will be happy to see them again though, they seemed a little sad when they couldn't see them anymore. I'm done rambling now, I promise. 😂
This is good to know! I assume we don't need a permit here for a concrete slab but now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering! We get some high winds too...just had some up to 70mph a couple of weeks ago. Would love to hear how it goes after you get your upcoming winds too. I figured I could add some 2 by 4s to give it more strength so I dont sit inside during every storm worrying about it. For the record, I would bring mine in too! Thanks again for all your help with this. I've been researching so much, trying to find the best solution and those wooden sheds cost an arm and a leg.

This is good to know! I assume we don't need a permit here for a concrete slab but now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering! We get some high winds too...just had some up to 70mph a couple of weeks ago. Would love to hear how it goes after you get your upcoming winds too. I figured I could add some 2 by 4s to give it more strength so I dont sit inside during every storm worrying about it. For the record, I would bring mine in too! Thanks again for all your help with this. I've been researching so much, trying to find the best solution and those wooden sheds cost an arm and a leg.
I never thought we would've for how lenient they are on everything else. I will absolutely report back after the winds. Fingers crossed. Your very welcome. We were in the same boat and just undecided for months and figured for the price it was worth a shot. :)

Now that the worst of the winds have finally passed, everything is still standing! Yay. 😂 We cut the tarps in hopes it wouldn't parachute the run even though it's anchored, and hubby filled any open holes with screws within the base frame to completely anchor it to the base(he could tell I was stressing, no matter how many times he told me it's wasn't going anywhere). I sat out in their coop for a bit to watch what it was doing from the inside. It's flexes some, more in your mid-wall area and pops kind of loud. I think our max gust yesterday was around 64. It definitely had them startled, I ran out with a laundry basket with a house coat in it, placed them in it and ran back in. I've never seen the poor little guys balled up so tight. They were happy to be back in a warm, familiar place(my bedroom) 😂 I think eventually if I stumble across some cheap boards, I'll probably reinforce the walls a little to avoid some of the flex that creates that terrible popping noise.

Now that the worst of the winds have finally passed, everything is still standing! Yay. 😂 We cut the tarps in hopes it wouldn't parachute the run even though it's anchored, and hubby filled any open holes with screws within the base frame to completely anchor it to the base(he could tell I was stressing, no matter how many times he told me it's wasn't going anywhere). I sat out in their coop for a bit to watch what it was doing from the inside. It's flexes some, more in your mid-wall area and pops kind of loud. I think our max gust yesterday was around 64. It definitely had them startled, I ran out with a laundry basket with a house coat in it, placed them in it and ran back in. I've never seen the poor little guys balled up so tight. They were happy to be back in a warm, familiar place(my bedroom) 😂 I think eventually if I stumble across some cheap boards, I'll probably reinforce the walls a little to avoid some of the flex that creates that terrible popping noise.
Another thing that's easy to work with, is coroplast---corrugated plastic. It's like cardboard only made entirely of plastic. It'll only last 2 yrs or so in the sun though. But I've been using it for last-minute wind breaks and for walls (attached to chain link gates). In fact I'm going to add a small piece now, I think I got the wind from you!

**You can poke holes in it with scissors or a screw, and use zip ties or bungee cords to fasten it.

Another thing that's easy to work with, is coroplast---corrugated plastic. It's like cardboard only made entirely of plastic. It'll only last 2 yrs or so in the sun though. But I've been using it for last-minute wind breaks and for walls (attached to chain link gates). In fact I'm going to add a small piece now, I think I got the wind from you!

**You can poke holes in it with scissors or a screw, and use zip ties or bungee cords to fasten it.
Hmm, I haven't heard of that. I will absolutely look into it. Thank you! Weather seems pretty off everywhere right now. Good ol' spring. 😂

Back
Top Bottom