Made a mistake

ATruckersWife

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Lebanon TN
I was checking my eggs this morning, i thought they were bad because i had one that was. When I opened up another it had a baby chic in there. It had a few more days left in the egg. I have brought it in and is under a light. It is still alive. My question is do u think it will make it or not.

I had one hen that hatched 9 baby chicks a week ago. All have died but 1. We have that 1 in the house under a light. It is doing really good. I have named it Lucky and I get it out and it likes to follow me every where. When I walk past the tank it is in he will peep at me til I get it out.

Quote:
Do you know what day was this chick on and how much did you open up? Was this an egg from your hen, or an incubator?

I had one hen that hatched 9 baby chicks a week ago. All have died but 1. We have that 1 in the house under a light. It is doing really good. I have named it Lucky and I get it out and it likes to follow me every where. When I walk past the tank it is in he will peep at me til I get it out.

Be careful ~ you'll spoil it.
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

It was one that my hen was on. I found one that smelled rotten and checked it and it was so i took out another and opened it all the way and it was a formed baby chick. It was chirping so it is in a tank inside with a light on it. It is formed all the way. He is laying like he is still in the egg but is moving its legs and chirping. It will drink some water. They should be hatching in the next few days. She was about a week past my other hen that hers hatched last Wed.

These chickens are a thing that we started for my 11yr old DD a few months ago. She is on the road with her Dad this week and does not know yet about the 1 I opened this morning. She started out with 10 and is now down to 6. 3 roosters and 3 hens. 2 of them 1 of my dogs got 2 after we got them and the other 2 got out of the coop 1 day when we went in to feed them.

Is the yolk sac absorbed and was there any blood? If it wasn't ready to hatch for another few days it would not be alive now. They don't absorb the blood in the membrane or the yolk until within the last day to few hours before they hatch. Taking a chick out even minutes early can easily cause bleeding to death and taking them out a day or 2 early is pretty much a guranteed death sentence. You have to really know what you are doing and watch for blood vessels to get a chick out of an egg before it's ready to hatch without instantly killing it. If it came out with no blood and the yolk sac is absorbed then it has been ready to hatch. Often when they come out stuck in position it's because they sat in the egg too long and couldn't hatch for some reason. Sometimes they improve over a day or 2 and sometimes they don't. I've seen it a lot more often with quail than with chicken chicks.

the yolk sac was already aborsed there was some blood. These are the first eggs I have ever hatched. I have never had chickens before so this is a trail and error kind of thing. The first egg I took out to check this morning had a rotten smell to it so I broke that one open to see and it was bad. The second one I did not smell it and broke it open and the baby chick came out chirping. Next time I know not to mess with them until I see them hatch themselves.

My other baby chick is a week old today when is a good time to put it out with the rest of my chickens?

Quote:
I like them to be 6 to 8 weeks before introducing
them to the rest of the flock. I have an (Introduction) pen next to my big pens where I put my adolesant birds to allow the older birds a chance to get to know them for several weeks before joining them with the flock.. This works well and keeps the pecking down to a minimum it seems.

i just did the SAME EXACT THING, only I got quail in one bator, chicks in another... i had a stinker in the quail bator and with 30+ eggs i wasnt sure which one was the culprit... i picked em all up and sniffed em and took out the two smelliest and something in my head told me to chip away carefully at the bigger end of the egg, so i did and saw a big moving chick! boy did i feel like a bad mommy... i rushed it back to the bator , but it near the opening of a plastic bag and then went to check out the other smelly egg. i chipped away at that one too and ach, another moving chick (this one had a HUGE air sac though, donno if it will make it)

but since then... which was last night, both of them are still alive and they appear to be rotating, so i can only assume they are getting into position to hatch... i hope they make it!!!!
hmm.png

My mother-in-law had a stinky egg that was late hatching so she threw it outside in the scrap pile thinking it was a rotten egg. When her husband came home from work he said he heard the awfulest tweeting and went to investigate... the little chick had hatched from the "rotten egg".
jumpy.gif
My mother-in-law felt so bad. She said he is now the prettiest rooster (and most tame)she has. It's a miracle he made it.

Back
Top Bottom