Made my first Chicken Sweater Tonight... Photos and my free pattern

She is a half rhode island red half EE, but shes still nowhere near fullsize, shes very young. Our labrador ripped her right wing tendon muscle and bone almost completely off and left most of the left wing bone exposed, so in surgery to clean her up and such the surgeon decided it was best to remove both wings for her survival.

Shes doing fine five days after the incident, so things are looking up, but being as cold as it is here, a sweater would be great for her when the heater has to go off.

@mamakat74 I will measure her tonight to see how big she is around, but i cant see her being bigger than 7 and a half to 8 inches around her biggest part, max.

Last edited:
She is a half rhode island red half EE, but shes still nowhere near fullsize, shes very young. Our labrador ripped her right wing tendon muscle and bone almost completely off and left most of the left wing bone exposed, so in surgery to clean her up and such the surgeon decided it was best to remove both wings for her survival.

Shes doing fine five days after the incident, so things are looking up, but being as cold as it is here, a sweater would be great for her when the heater has to go off.

@mamakat74 I will measure her tonight to see how big she is around, but i cant see her being bigger than 7 and a half to 8 inches around her biggest part, max.
hit.gif
Oh poor baby! I am hoping she can be comfortable after she heals up.

I have only VERY minimal crochet experience (I had to look up the basic stitches used in this pattern) but I was able to adequately finish this project in only a few hours. Unfortunately, I tried it on my chicken (a Rhode Island Red) and it was much too large.
I'm thrilled that I was able to figure this pattern out. Even though it came out a teensy bit lopsided, and too large, I believe that with a bit of practice I should be able to make a perfect one.
Now- is there any way to make an already finished one smaller? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

i could just see my yard, i have 31 chickens i asked my daughter if she would make one for me, i don't even know how to hold a needle, i do plastic canves. gee wonder if we could put a cup on one for rooster so it can not ride my hens, and i hope the chicken without wings makes it, but how would she hold it on if no wings.

i could just see my yard, i have 31 chickens i asked my daughter if she would make one for me, i don't even know how to hold a needle, i do plastic canves. gee wonder if we could put a cup on one for rooster so it can not ride my hens, and i hope the chicken without wings makes it, but how would she hold it on if no wings.
you know i have a chicken that had no fuzz was bare when it was born, now it has fuzz, no feathers that may work for this one, of course like i said i do not even knoe how to hold a needle to make them. if i could figure it out i would do one for her. she is almost a year old black sex link. i have 7 of them and the rest are beatiful black with blue in the back and orange on the chest. i also have 8 red sex licks, some rir and 2 they said are easter egg birds, still waiting for my blue egg, then i have a few not sure what they are.

Im guessing, since the sweater looks like it just fits over the chickens head and sits cozily on the body, she wont need to hold it in place with her 'wings'. It may tip and otherwise spin a little if she rolls around but otherwise it should stay fitted.

I have a green one I made that was too small for my girls. If you want, I can ship it to you to try. You can make it more snug, if needed, by adding velcro to where the wing holes would be.

Back
Top Bottom