Made my own Coop, respectful critiques welcome!

Hello all!

So I have been lurking for about 2 years now and officially joined back in February of last year.

I originally called a coop company (the one named after a state) to buy one premade, but they were backordered until October. I had already made the cardinal sin of buying chickens before I had a coop so I was under a pretty serious time crunch, the chickens were getting big and my wife was getting impatient. I asked the coop company to sell me some plans but after some back and forth, Matt's wife told me no because I wasn't a carpenter or cabinet maker. So using the power of this forum, youtube videos, and the fear of my wife, I made my own. It's heavily influenced by Matt's coop and some of the members here that were kind enough to message me their plans (shoutout to @strattao and @crowber). I was going to make an open air coop because I'm in Texas, but my wife wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.

Everything was made out of plain jane framing studs due to lumber being so high minus the wood touching the concrete footer which is pressure treated. Still have a little touchup painting to do but it's otherwise done.

Total footprint: 20 ft x 8 ft
Henhouse 8 ft x 6 ft
6.5 ft tall plus 2 ft for the roof.

I know my chicken math is a little off, I ordered 15 chickens expecting a few not survive shipping and a few incorrectly sexed chickens that were going to make a tasty meal. But I'll be darn if they aren't all healthy as can be and I may have one rooster.

Thanks!
Barsad0
Great job, that looks fantastic!!! <3

Hello all!

So I have been lurking for about 2 years now and officially joined back in February of last year.

I originally called a coop company (the one named after a state) to buy one premade, but they were backordered until October. I had already made the cardinal sin of buying chickens before I had a coop so I was under a pretty serious time crunch, the chickens were getting big and my wife was getting impatient. I asked the coop company to sell me some plans but after some back and forth, Matt's wife told me no because I wasn't a carpenter or cabinet maker. So using the power of this forum, youtube videos, and the fear of my wife, I made my own. It's heavily influenced by Matt's coop and some of the members here that were kind enough to message me their plans (shoutout to @strattao and @crowber). I was going to make an open air coop because I'm in Texas, but my wife wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.

Everything was made out of plain jane framing studs due to lumber being so high minus the wood touching the concrete footer which is pressure treated. Still have a little touchup painting to do but it's otherwise done.

Henhouse 8 ft x 6 ft

I know my chicken math is a little off, I ordered 15 chickens expecting a few not survive shipping and a few incorrectly sexed chickens that were going to make a tasty meal. But I'll be darn if they aren't all healthy as can be and I may have one rooster.

Thanks!
Barsad0
That's just an amazing coop!!! Great job!!

This looks great. You even have a guard dog on watch. That is so cool.

For the birds you can make things for jungle gym. We used an old feeder that the chickens did not like and turned it on the side for them to jump onto. He built a dug out for the girls to take cover when it's raining here or to get out of the sun. Also a dog house he made for our second crew of chickens years ago to stay warm in the winter but they refused the dog house so this is another gym for them to use.

Hello all!

Henhouse 8 ft x 6 ft

Thanks!
Barsad0
Strange, I don't see any problem with your carpentry skills. Nice coop/nice job.

Back
Top Bottom