Made my own Coop, respectful critiques welcome!

Pics

barsad0

Chirping
Feb 4, 2020
DFW metroplex
Hello all!

So I have been lurking for about 2 years now and officially joined back in February of last year.

I originally called a coop company (the one named after a state) to buy one premade, but they were backordered until October. I had already made the cardinal sin of buying chickens before I had a coop so I was under a pretty serious time crunch, the chickens were getting big and my wife was getting impatient. I asked the coop company to sell me some plans but after some back and forth, Matt's wife told me no because I wasn't a carpenter or cabinet maker. So using the power of this forum, youtube videos, and the fear of my wife, I made my own. It's heavily influenced by Matt's coop and some of the members here that were kind enough to message me their plans (shoutout to @strattao and @crowber). I was going to make an open air coop because I'm in Texas, but my wife wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.

Everything was made out of plain jane framing studs due to lumber being so high minus the wood touching the concrete footer which is pressure treated. Still have a little touchup painting to do but it's otherwise done.

Total footprint: 20 ft x 8 ft
Henhouse 8 ft x 6 ft
6.5 ft tall plus 2 ft for the roof.

I know my chicken math is a little off, I ordered 15 chickens expecting a few not survive shipping and a few incorrectly sexed chickens that were going to make a tasty meal. But I'll be darn if they aren't all healthy as can be and I may have one rooster.

Thanks!
Barsad0

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    849.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    722.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    602.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    446.6 KB · Views: 144
Excellent job!
Good amount of space for 14 birds, great ventilation, predator proof run so the pop door can (and should) remain open year round.
Are there ventilated closure strips between the roof and the purlins? That is the only potential predator access point I can see.
I'd also add some perches to the run and some things to jump up on and hide under in the run.

Hello all!

So I have been lurking for about 2 years now and officially joined back in February of last year.

I originally called a coop company (the one named after a state) to buy one premade, but they were backordered until October. I had already made the cardinal sin of buying chickens before I had a coop so I was under a pretty serious time crunch, the chickens were getting big and my wife was getting impatient. I asked the coop company to sell me some plans but after some back and forth, Matt's wife told me no because I wasn't a carpenter or cabinet maker. So using the power of this forum, youtube videos, and the fear of my wife, I made my own. It's heavily influenced by Matt's coop and some of the members here that were kind enough to message me their plans (shoutout to @strattao and @crowber). I was going to make an open air coop because I'm in Texas, but my wife wanted something more aesthetically pleasing.

Everything was made out of plain jane framing studs due to lumber being so high minus the wood touching the concrete footer which is pressure treated. Still have a little touchup painting to do but it's otherwise done.

Total footprint: 20 ft x 8 ft
Henhouse 8 ft x 6 ft
6.5 ft tall plus 2 ft for the roof.

I know my chicken math is a little off, I ordered 15 chickens expecting a few not survive shipping and a few incorrectly sexed chickens that were going to make a tasty meal. But I'll be darn if they aren't all healthy as can be and I may have one rooster.

Thanks!
Barsad0
Can you come to Oregon and make ours just like yours????

Absolutely stunning! I'm Awed by the ventilation!
I'm delighted to see a ramp that actually looks usable as well as leaving space at the bottom which doesn't cram into a wall!

You MIGHT want to consider drawing up the plans with instructions and selling them! That'll learn "Matt"!!

Chicken math be damned! You done good!!!
PS: What's "Plain Jane" wood?
AND...did you lay down a hardware cloth barrier?
Whoops...here's another ??? What size pressure treated lumber did you use and ws the concrete footer poured, or were they 16x8x8?

Did I tell you how much I LOVE your coop/run?????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom