made the processing appt

carousel

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 31, 2008
NW Oregon
I made the appt to have my 7 Conish X processed next tuesday. They would have turned 7 weeks old on Wed, but I think I'm ready to be done <G>.
It has been interesting for sure, I have not yet decided if I would do this again or not. I have decided that 7 is enough "meaties" for the back yard flock - situation.
I might do this again? but time things better so they could be outside instead if in my garage. it has just been too cold at night to leave them outside. They have had afternoon's outside, and it was fun to see them act like chickens - well pretty much act like chickens.

Quote:
I know.....I was told the closest meat processing place around here was 1 1/2 hours away, then I found out it wasnt' there anymore.

Gonna do the job ourselves.

well to be honest! through this list!
it is about 40 miles away will be 3 or 4.00 a bird depending on size.
I live in town, I'm not going to process in my back yard, and for me 4.00 plus gas is worth it! no fuss, no mess, none of my time, and less chance something gets messed up.
I love in NW Oregon
I'm going http://harringtonpoultry.com/

Whoa! just at $3 a bird that would cost me over $100 just for processing. So glad I live far enough out to butcher our own.

It's good though that you can go there. Hey, if I could afford it and there was one close by, I would go to.
lol.png

when I started this, it was not about getting cheap chicken.
it was about being more responsible for my food.
Frankly I'm good to pay someone 4.00 to kill, clean, clean up etc....
so again, this was not about "cost" savings.
If I think about what I get paid per hour at work, I would pay someone 4.00 a bird for what it would take ME to do all of the above, it is a BARGIN.
But when all said and done? I will let you know about the "math" I have kept track of my costs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom