Madison County, AL? -- Legal in county, but deed restricted :(

I live in Harvest, AL and I have 7 ducks and will be getting chickens as soon as we finish the coop. We also plan on getting bees, a pair of geese, rabbits and a couple of goats. I don't think it is a problem because people out here have cows, horses and donkeys in my neighborhood but then I don't live in a new subdivision either. I think if you are looking to buy a house in Toney and you want chickens you should be careful where you buy. If you are looking in new subdivisions be sure to check out their rules and laws before you buy. I have seen all kinds of livestock in Toney from emu to llamas so I don't think it is a problem as long as you stay away from the new subdivisions. Good Luck!

Does anyone know how many chickens we can have in the city limits? We've got 4 hens but my husband is wanting to add a few more. Haven't been able to find anywhere that says how many.

When it says "commercial purposes" that just means don't sell your chicks and don't sell your eggs. I'm considering a move to Madison and will certainly try it- just won't advertise! If they have a problem with the chickens, just wait til the goats get settled in.
ep.gif

I live in Harvest. Hello neighbor. I have chickens. I never received any HOA rules. I asked my long term neighbors about it. They said there was supposed to be a HOA restrictions but it never got drawn up. So I'm allowed to have as many as I want and I can have roosters also. I prefer not to have a rooster as I don't want to raise chicks. I did personally speak with each of my neighbors before proceeding just to be sure I wouldn't be creating any bad feelings. I started with 5 and now I have 10.

I know this is an old post, but I'm also in Madison, and talked to the harvest coop, and they said there are no restrictions in the county. HOA's are a different story. I have a friend that lives in a neighborhood with an HOA that prohibits chickens, but they still have three hens free ranging in their privacy fenced back yard. They're the ones that hooked us on chickens.

Hi there. I have looked into chickens in Madison City (new here, Madison County and Madison CITY are two different things). The ordinance of Madison CITY says:
"Art. IV. 5-123. MADISON CODE
Sec. 5-90. Keeping of game birds prohibited.
No person shall keep or have any game birds, including but not limited to, pheasants, geese,ducks, quail and partridge in any house, pen, coop or enclosure or other building situated within a distance of 125 feet of any church, school or other public building or within 125 feet of any dwelling, store or other building used or occupied as a residence of any person other than that of the owner or caretaker of such fowl."
(Ord. No. 1510, 9-19-11)

So, I am guessing you cannot have chickens in your backyard.

I wanted 2 chickens in a chicken coop in the backyard, located in a subdivision. Does anyone have knowledge of how to get this legally done or is it just a lost call?"

Back
Top Bottom