Magazine suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lyn862, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Lyn862

Lyn862 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oakley, Idaho
    I hope this is not too far off topic, but I am looking for magazine subscription suggestions, and I think you folks would know. I have subscribed to Mother Earth News for 20ish years. I love some of the content - keeping chickens, gardening, building homes from scratch. My problem is that politically I am very conservative and this magazine is quite liberal. Do you have any ideas for a magazine that is less political that covers similar topics?

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    It's hard to find anything today that isn't political.
    In the past I have had Backyard Poultry,Countryside and Small Stock Journal,and Hobby Farms after a while though you'll see the same articles again. Buy them at the bookstore before you decide on a subsription. Will

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Absolutely ... Countryside & Small Stock Journal!!!!

We love it, most people writing are conservative with the same values we have. Tons of great personal experience in all areas of living as self sufficiently as you want.

Many libraries carry them so you could check your local library to see a copy before putting money into it.

You can contact Countryside at 800-551-5691 - they are located in Wisconsin.

I bet you love it if you try it.[​IMG]

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    lets see theres a backyard poultry an coutryside an small stock journal an hobby farms.you can find these on the net.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Along with my Mother Earth News subscription, I get one for GRIT magazine. Still may be a little too liberal for some folks though.

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I personally like GRIT, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside. However, I am a big fan of Mother Earth!

7. wilded

wilded Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Texas
    I have 6 back issues of Mother Earth news and 6 of Acreage magazine I would trade for Grit, Backyard poultry or Countryside back issues. [​IMG]

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Backwoods Home is Mother Earth News for those with a more conservative bent. I've picked up a few copies and have been very pleased with the content - and I do also get Mother Earth News and understand where you're coming from on the political side.

9. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    I have a subscription to Backyard Poultry and it's the best! [​IMG]

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Good info, Rein. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by