Maggie's Broken Heart- ...I am soooo mad !!!!

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
I'm so mad at my neighbors, I hate it how they complain to the city about something...instead of just telling me in my face so I can fix the problem!!!! Anyways what happened is...

I had two roosters..One is a Barred Rock named Captain Potato ...another one is named Captain Jack Sparrow ( he kinda looks like him too
lol.png
) They recently began to crow... interestingly ( didnt know this before) they crow at....3...am O_O and allll day. So of course one of my neighbors complained to animal control that we have chickens..and roosters..

Animal Control came, It was a lady around mid 30s shes a nice person. She told me that she called the city and they told her I wasnt zoned for chickens then she gave me a two weeks notice to get ride of ALL my beloved chickens. ( have 15) I freaked... I was so mad. why?! why not just tell me you stupid neighbors....I GAVE YOU FREE EGGS!!!?

Sadly, I gave away my roosters My boyfriend was sooo sad I know I cant keep them from crowing, (at least they are in good hands) But my girls? I went nuts looking online about our city codes etc...and lo and behold...I'm allowed to have 25 fowls for meat and eggs!! well.....GUESS WHAT my chickens are for eggs too so HAH!! I then called cityhall and asked...(pretending that I dont know anything) if I am zoned for chickens. THEY SAID NO!? I asked them about the codes and they said they will call me back...waited 3 days got fed up and personally went down to city hall to ask them for a printout of the code. Then I pointed out to them what the code says....................are you guys ready for this????? this is what they say to me after seeing what the code says

They looked at me....and said "no you are not allowed chickens," then he looked at his coworker and said " chicken isnt considered a fowl....." My...jaws literally dropped to the floor. I tried really hard not to raise my voice. Are you kidding I said? Chickens ARE fowls!!! They are birds...are you saying chickens are not birds? IF they are not fowl/birds THEN WHAT ARE THEY!?!O_O. He just stared at his coworker which then also agreed....nooo ma'am I dont think chickens are considered Fowl... WOOOOOW!!!! I was about to explode. I sooo wanted to say WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO TO SCHOOL!? DID YOU EVEN FINISH FIRST GRADE!? I wanted to buy them a dictionary.... They tried giving me an examples....but i was too angry to hear anything they were saying. They saw me getting worked up and finally said "you know what its okay dont worry about the chicken issue" I didnt even care anymore, I just left. Yesterday animal control showed up again, asked if i still had the rooster, i told her no i gave it away. She asked if I still have chickens? I said yes...I Raise fowls for eggs and meat...its allowed. She left, i smiled...the end
smile.png

Btw about Maggie Shes a RIR Shes totally inlove with Captain Potato, when it rained he put his wing over her to keep her warm and dry, Every morning he takes her for walks with other hens following close behind. He made sure the dogs stays away from her. And always finds worms and leave it for her to eat. He grooms her and sleeps next to her. After I gave Potato away, The very next day........ Maggie disappears. No feathers...nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear you haveing to deal with such ignorance. SO, according to the code...you are allowed to have " fowl" Is there a chance you might be able to get your rooster back!?? Just the one? What a shame about maggie....I hope she returns.

Wow. I think I would have been using a few choice obscenities myself. I can't stand it when city officials think they know it all... when obviously they haven't got a clue (of course chickens are fowl). I'm very sorry you had to go through that.

I cleared it with my township before I decided to get chickens and even went so far as to get a zoning permit... but after reading your story, I think I'm going to make sure to have a copy of the township ordinances on hand, with my permit, and a dictionary (with pictures) that states chicken are poultry (defined as being allowable by our township). There is a clause in our ordinance that allows neighbors to complain if our chickens get noisy or become a "nuisance", but we're smack dab in the middle of a thickly wooded square 2.5 acre lot. Plus, the neighbors next to us are getting chickens too... and another neighbor two houses down the opposite way just got chickens last month (and they're technically not legal to have them in this township since they don't own 1 acre or more - but I won't be turning them in!). We're all going to be making some noise along our street. Maybe we'll have to rename it Chicken BLVD.

This is why I tell people to go and read their zoning laws. Around here most towns have websites, with the bylaws posted. Do a search on 'poultry' and 'fowl' and you'll find out what is and isn't allowed in your town.

so sorry about maggie.

I would print up the definition of fowl along with pictures and send several duplicate faxes to the idiot at town hall.

I did this to my insurance agency that claimed they had not received a paper I had sent them twice. Its fun

WOW i dont know what i would have done to those people.. chickens not fowl!? they are the epitome of fowl! someone fire those people! they have no IQ WHATSOEVER

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! If chickens aren't fowls, then what kind of birds do they think give you meat and eggs!? Pigeons? Parrots?

I'm sorry about your hen. Maybe instead of getting angry, you should have just laughed and showed them the dictionary definition of fowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom