maggots in vent

Thank you everybody! I love this forum! I posted another topic about saggy crop, any ideas there?

Yes, the warmer the ambient temps are outside but also consider that the bottom side of a hen, especially during nesting/egg laying time/down time is quite a bit warmer and VERY moist, facilitating a most desirable environment for hatching maggots.

This is not an answer to what caused it but a possible prevention. I have Lots of Icelandic Chickens and Marans at two different locations. I have raised others over time and seen this fly infestation before and yes they will kill an infested chicken, pig or dog. I have personally seen the chickens and the pig and only heard of the dog in the case of Greyhounds which have very sensitive skin. There is a duck, the Muscovy that will spend the whole day in pursuit of flys. I always have at least two or more around each flock of chickens. We aren't "fly free" but we have no problems as a result of the ones that are around.

Andyfromfbg
smile.png

Over the past 20+ years of raising small flocks (10+) I've seen this happen maybe five times. An appearently healthy hen suddenly become floopy. Doesn't want to move. You lift up the tail feather and see a revolting mess with magots all about. Within 12 hours the hen has died. Don't have any idea of what causes it. It doesn't seem to be contagious... -john-

Back
Top Bottom