Maggots on duck

You're suggesting purina isn't interested in making a profit?

All animals know what's best for them.

The only possible exception is humans because they are the only ones capable of presupposing that they know more than nature. Only humans would eat something awful because they think it's healthy. No other animal has that capability.

Grandma fed her dogs predominantly table scraps for 80 years, so I feel pretty good about it. No one loved dogs more than grandma. If I didn't make it to dinner in time then the dogs would be eating my food.

Whichever one has the nutrition that they currently crave. I go through that with cats every single day. Sometimes they eat chicken, sometimes kibble, sometimes grain-free kibble, sometimes canned food, sometimes kitten formula. I even have a cat that eats cantaloupe.

Years will go by.

You're making that claim, but where is the evidence? I don't know anything about horses to know if that is true or not.

I know about geese, ducks, cats, dogs, humans. I know they know what is good for them, with the exception of some humans.

Why not? Companies can offer anything they want. You can't make conclusions based upon what is offered for sale.

And you're still stuck on the idea that anyone really knows what nutritional requirements are. That is FAR from being settled.

How do you even know what diet is good for you? The FDA can't even make up its mind how much carotene is equivalent to retinol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinol#Dietary_intake

Thriving contributes to surviving. Animals won't survive for long unless they're thriving.

Make a poll asking who has ducks and geese older than mine and see what they eat. So far, people think 7 years is an impressive age for ducks and a nigh-impossible accomplishment which is evidence that the proper feed is garbage. Where is the evidence to the contrary? All I have seen so far is unsubstantiated claims and appeals to authority.

I mean, I'm doing the impossible and you're telling me I'm doing it wrong. Why should I disregard my own experience in favor of some theories?
My dogs want chocolate. They've had it before (not purposely) and I have to remove it from their paws and mouths (I have a kid). That is lethal in large quantities but they still want it and will go to great lengths to get it

You're suggesting purina isn't interested in making a profit?

All animals know what's best for them.

The only possible exception is humans because they are the only ones capable of presupposing that they know more than nature. Only humans would eat something awful because they think it's healthy. No other animal has that capability.

Grandma fed her dogs predominantly table scraps for 80 years, so I feel pretty good about it. No one loved dogs more than grandma. If I didn't make it to dinner in time then the dogs would be eating my food.

Whichever one has the nutrition that they currently crave. I go through that with cats every single day. Sometimes they eat chicken, sometimes kibble, sometimes grain-free kibble, sometimes canned food, sometimes kitten formula. I even have a cat that eats cantaloupe.

Years will go by.

You're making that claim, but where is the evidence? I don't know anything about horses to know if that is true or not.

I know about geese, ducks, cats, dogs, humans. I know they know what is good for them, with the exception of some humans.

Why not? Companies can offer anything they want. You can't make conclusions based upon what is offered for sale.

And you're still stuck on the idea that anyone really knows what nutritional requirements are. That is FAR from being settled.

How do you even know what diet is good for you? The FDA can't even make up its mind how much carotene is equivalent to retinol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinol#Dietary_intake

Thriving contributes to surviving. Animals won't survive for long unless they're thriving.

Make a poll asking who has ducks and geese older than mine and see what they eat. So far, people think 7 years is an impressive age for ducks and a nigh-impossible accomplishment which is evidence that the proper feed is garbage. Where is the evidence to the contrary? All I have seen so far is unsubstantiated claims and appeals to authority.

I mean, I'm doing the impossible and you're telling me I'm doing it wrong. Why should I disregard my own experience in favor of some theories?
Also, there are people that have ducks that age. Your duck is unwell so the argument is not realistic. No ill intention here but maybe instead of trying to prove your point or to change our minds, time is better spent on what's going on with your beautiful duck that's not feeling well. I don't think anyone is going to change their minds. If you have facts, other than Albrects theory, feel free to share them, otherwise let's work on helping your duck ❤️

If a duck isn't given clean water and/or isn't encouraged to preen, they can develop "wet feather". This is oftentimes secondary to something else. I can't remember if you replied, but have you check her preening gland?

No, I don't even know what a preening gland is or where it is. I don't know what wet feather is either.

Did you feed layer pellets whenever this duck was a duckling?

No it received some special feed for young ducks.

I can take a picture of the Super B complex vitamins that I use, if you'd like

Yes of course! I'm dying for a good recommendation of B vitamins.

As far as the bottom of her feet, I'm wondering about bumblefoot.

I'll have to google that and see if my duck has it. Never heard of it.

I know that you said one leg broke and healed back straight. Is she able to walk now?

Yes, she can walk and climb mud banks.

If one leg is now more straight, it seems like the stepping on her own feet would have improved.

It did. She used to step on both feet, but now she only steps on one foot ( I forgot which one).

So I'm wondering why she's not moving around.

She could be scared. She's been at the pond for over 6 years then suddenly she's at the garage and has no idea what to expect. I don't think old ducks can learn new tricks.

But even at the pond she never moved around much unless it was to get in or out of the pond. If she is on land, she is usually sitting.

Just for reference, my Pekins have straight legs and they've not suffered from a break.

How old are they? Mine had straight legs for a number of years. Honestly, I think it's a lack of walking and the bone stimulation. Sitting to much contributes to the bone deformation as does the swimming probably.

Astronauts in zero gravity will experience bone deterioration. The same is happening with my duck. The ducks and geese that are more active do not have the same problem. The geese actually sleep standing up.

I have no words lol. Good grief.

No doubt your lack of words will convince me to abandon my experience.

What about dogs that crave socks and tennis balls? I've seen a vet pull an intact hair brush from one dog's stomach.

Or how about dog's that eat rat poison? Or antifreeze?

Those are not foods to be chosen from.

I'm beginning to get the troll vibe. Zero logic to be found here.

Well you could start by logically debating my points rather than exclaiming that you have no words and resorting to poisons in comparison with food.

As I said, make a poll and lets see what old ducks eat.

What I've learned from this thread is that cheap dog food is apparently better for ducks than cheap duck food.

The duck was malnourished in its developmental months and ended up with weak bones, resulting in bowed legs and a broken bone. In its latter years, it continues to be malnourished with a diet of cheap dog food, corn and layer pellets it doesn't eat except as a last resort.

Ducks, dogs and people MAY occasionally make good dietary choices when they been bloated on low-nutritional value foods as their main intake. A few individuals MAY make good dietary choices as their default diets.

Unfortunately, we have an unprecedented epidemic of metabolic disorders in our country due to our dietary choices. Look around at the people out in the wild- most will be overweight, many very much so. I've also noticed that many dogs are plump and have been developing diabetes, fatty liver disease and other metabolic disorders.

THAT'S what you usually get when you allow people, dogs, cows, rabbits and ducks to choose their own diet from a buffet which includes junk food. Yes, a cow who has unlimited access to apples and molasses will eventually become surfeited and go munch grass for a time. But, make no mistake; she will be back to the apples and molasses shortly, and will prove to have eaten far too little of what was good for her and far too much of what wasn't. If she did this from being just weaned, she'd certainly have plagued her owner with the repercussions of it sooner rather than later.

Your duck needs a proper diet suited for a meat duck who's long in the tooth. She does not need dog food.

Jake, my Maltese, ate a GLOW bracelet! Seriously, he ATE it. I know it was so bitter because of how he was acting but he continued
No, I don't even know what a preening gland is or where it is. I don't know what wet feather is either.

No it received some special feed for young ducks.

Yes of course! I'm dying for a good recommendation of B vitamins.

I'll have to google that and see if my duck has it. Never heard of it.

Yes, she can walk and climb mud banks.

It did. She used to step on both feet, but now she only steps on one foot ( I forgot which one).

She could be scared. She's been at the pond for over 6 years then suddenly she's at the garage and has no idea what to expect. I don't think old ducks can learn new tricks.

But even at the pond she never moved around much unless it was to get in or out of the pond. If she is on land, she is usually sitting.

How old are they? Mine had straight legs for a number of years. Honestly, I think it's a lack of walking and the bone stimulation. Sitting to much contributes to the bone deformation as does the swimming probably.

Astronauts in zero gravity will experience bone deterioration. The same is happening with my duck. The ducks and geese that are more active do not have the same problem. The geese actually sleep standing up.
OK. Before I go into depth with anything else, I thought you said they've always been like this and it's become worse with age. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's certainly a possibility. I thought you said something like "they needed to suffer a break to have straight legs"
Please correct me if I'm wrong because there's a chance I misunderstood. I admit that

Pom Pom Duck. I didn't know what they were called.

12 is a long time. What was his main diet?
Layer flock feed extra niacin and a close watch for anything that goes wrong he had a terrible arthritis the last 3 years of his life but other than that he was happy.....and vinegar in there water so he could digest right I think that was the main reason he lived long.....

Also, there are people that have ducks that age.

Where? Two people here have expressed astonishment at the age of my ducks.

Your duck is unwell so the argument is not realistic.

My duck is not unwell. The problem is her inability to clean herself, which has zero to do with diet.

I have 8 other birds of ages 5 to 7 that are models of health and vitality.

I don't think anyone is going to change their minds.

I need to see at least one duck that is older than mine which was fed only the proper feed (except a few treats) for me to concede that the proper feed is at least as good as dogfood.

Yet no one can do even that much. Instead I'm expected to abandon my own experience in favor of theories of people who haven't accomplished as much. It's absurd.

If you have facts, other than Albrects theory, feel free to share them, otherwise let's work on helping your duck

If the foremost authority on fertility in relation to nutrition + demonstration of his theories in action isn't enough then why would more facts make a difference?

There is nothing left to do to help my duck other than recommending a good B vitamin. The solution is returning her to the pond so she can resume caring for herself without my meddling.

Back
Top Bottom