Maggots please HELP

Ochicken

Hatching
Aug 14, 2023
My chicken OJ who is 6 has maggots and can’t move her left leg much. It seemed like she couldn’t move her left leg back and can’t walk on the leg, she is still walking sometimes but does it on her other leg. It seemed to be a hip dislocate or brake, but after looking closer I saw a large coin flesh wound on the left side of her butt filled with small maggots. There is a large bubble under her butt filled with á liquid, I have bathed her 4 times in an epson salt bath trying to get as many out as I could. I got most of them out(about 90%+) but with them on the feather and in her wound I couldn’t get them all. i can’t afford a vet and I don’t know what to do, this is my favourite chicken and I don’t want to lose her is there anyone who can help me out.

Attachments

• 6772BBD1-3395-457D-A83E-9940ABB71FE0.jpeg
    6772BBD1-3395-457D-A83E-9940ABB71FE0.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 103
If you have Vetericyn you can spray the wound. Plain Neopporin can be applied. In the morning, the soak may need to be repeated until all maggots are out and gone. Did she have droppings stuck to her vent or was there a wound that attracted the flies? Look for other chickens who may have poopy vents or wounds, and try to treat the flies. Here is a good article about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

If you have Vetericyn you can spray the wound. Plain Neopporin can be applied. In the morning, the soak may need to be repeated until all maggots are out and gone. Did she have droppings stuck to her vent or was there a wound that attracted the flies? Look for other chickens who may have poopy vents or wounds, and try to treat the flies. Here is a good article about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Do you think that’s what causing her leg to give out, I’ll order some online and do the rest in the morning she has had a rough day. Does it spread easy on the other chickens and what should I look for. Thanks for the information

The maggots won't spread to the other chickens unless they are soiled as well.

You will need to get rid of the maggots, soak her well in bath with soapy water (use Original Dawn), pick out the maggots. Trim up the feathers so you can see the wound(s) better.

Get more photos once you have cleaned out the wound and we can see it better.

The maggots won't spread to the other chickens unless they are soiled as well.

You will need to get rid of the maggots, soak her well in bath with soapy water (use Original Dawn), pick out the maggots. Trim up the feathers so you can see the wound(s) better.

Get more photos once you have cleaned out the wound and we can see it better.
I cleaned her 2 more times, flushed it out with saline solution and have picked all that I can see out along with trying to get some dead skin out to get them but there is more to do. All you can see is the dead skin in the photo but it was 1000X better then what it was yesterday. Does anyone know what could be causing her leg to give out on the side of her cut.

Attachments

• 4C2732BC-5CF7-4A16-9D9E-08F46D323D2D.jpeg
    4C2732BC-5CF7-4A16-9D9E-08F46D323D2D.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 59
  • D0781655-CA0A-4DEB-AFD5-54C9A6FBF055.jpeg
    D0781655-CA0A-4DEB-AFD5-54C9A6FBF055.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom