Maggots? What to do?

Sort of. Clean it gently once and then use an antibiotic cream or spray. The banix is fine. I wouldn't use Vaseline, but you can, the neosporin is fine.
Antibiotics for if there's internal injuries.
Why won't diatomaceous earth kill the magots? Should I wash it all out?
Won't vasoline or something smother the maggots? They kinda down in some places that are hard to get to. Would like to kill them.

Appreciate the help.

Why won't diatomaceous earth kill the magots? Should I wash it all out?
Won't vasoline or something smother the maggots? They kinda down in some places that are hard to get to. Would like to kill them.

Appreciate the help.
Because DE doesn't work in moist environments. it's supposed to work by cutting the Bugs so they dry out but de is only barely abrasive when dry and completely useless when damp or wet.
Your goal is to remove the maggots, not kill them, that comes after they leave.
Did you try the soap water?
That's the smell of infection and decay, unfortunately it's not looking good for your girl there. Those wounds can be healed by she's too weak to last through it.
I'm very sorry. It's best to put her down

I mean with bones showing, the poor thing.

Everyone agrees put it down?

If so, how?
Shotgun?
Are you going to put her down? Shotgun will work if that's what you have.

If not, then the maggots have to go. Sounds like she may be in shock if she's throwing up.
Flush the wound out with warm soapy water, pick out the maggots.

The smell is infection, so you will want to clean the wound out with something like Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Once the maggots are gone, then you can spray it with the Bannixx or use triple antibiotic ointment.

If you are seeing bone, then she likely will not make it, but you can try if you wish. Shock and infection are going to be your biggest issues once the maggots are gone.
Give her sugar water to help her with shock.

Do not put DE, flour, cornstarch or anything like that in this type of wound, these will just cake up inside the wound and allow bacteria to flourish.

Tried to clean one more time. But i just can't get to them without digging around in her. They in a few deep small pockets

Back
Top Bottom