maggots!?!

HayleyCrum

Songster
Feb 27, 2022
East Tennessee
my ducks are in a cage that has a sand bottom. today when cleaning there water i noticed on the rock that there water bowl sits on has maggots on it. my ducks are clean and dont have opened wounds however i did read and it says they can come from flies or poop. i havent cleaned out the poop recently because it has been pretty wet from the water so it just washes away, i have them a 5 gallon water bucket so i dont think a piece of wood will hold it off the ground. should i be worried for the ducks and what should i do to prevent this. i also killed all the ones i saw

my ducks are in a cage that has a sand bottom. today when cleaning there water i noticed on the rock that there water bowl sits on has maggots on it. my ducks are clean and dont have opened wounds however i did read and it says they can come from flies or poop. i havent cleaned out the poop recently because it has been pretty wet from the water so it just washes away, i have them a 5 gallon water bucket so i dont think a piece of wood will hold it off the ground. should i be worried for the ducks and what should i do to prevent this. i also killed all the ones i saw
Those are baby flies from spilled food and poop. Will they hurt your ducks, probably not. In fact, your ducks might enjoy eating them. But, it is an indication that you might need to clean their cage better. You do not want them standing or laying on wet, poopy bedding.

Those are baby flies from spilled food and poop. Will they hurt your ducks, probably not. In fact, your ducks might enjoy eating them. But, it is an indication that you might need to clean their cage better. You do not want them standing or laying on wet, poopy bedding.
so in my case i need to get another bag of sand to get it dry again?

I would do the opposite, sand and then pine flakes, or just pine flakes. That way, the pine absorbs the moisture created by the duck poo. Then, just remove any particularly poopy shavings and/or pour more shavings on top so they always have dry shavings to sleep on.

Back
Top Bottom