Magnets ok?

BirdYard

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2023
I'm a second-timer raising chicks. As the first batch made a mess billing feed from the feeder, I devised a little catcher and it saved me substantial mess and waste. I placed a five pound barbell at the floor, then a donut magnet, a tin lid, and finally the feeder. I just assembled the same again for the new chicks and they seem to be avoiding it. I looked up magnetic fields and chickens, but there's not much to find.
Am I messing the birds up? It's so convenient to disassemble, clean, etc. I'd rather keep the arrangement.

Attachments

• 20230303_092849.jpg
    20230303_092849.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 10
Try taking it out and see if it makes a difference. Though they're probably just weirded out by it, and still need some time to warm up

I waited and watched while they climbed and circled, pecked at the metal and the jar, and ate a tiny bit before walking away. I took the magnet off and they are back to normal. It's not exactly science but I'm going to skip the magnet. I though I was so slick with the last brood and I never noticed any difference. Well, I think it was worth mentioning since I couldn't find a single other reference on the topic. Thank you for your attention.

Attachments

• 20230303_101216.jpg
    20230303_101216.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 3
It was a pretty strong magnet. I could pick up the five pound barbell and it held nicely.

Attachments

• 20230303_101750.jpg
    20230303_101750.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

If it had been a while I'd question if they are not wasting as much because of the new configuration so you just think they are not eating as much. I don't think you've had the configuration that long for this bunch of chicks though.

Chickens often don't like change but they can be adaptable. To me that makes the most sense. I'd give them some more time. So I agree, just temporarily weirded out by the new set-up.

Thank you all for the input and warm welcome. Since the chicks are still so light, the magnet isn't that important. I will probably slip it in again as a spacer once they start knocking the feeder over. I'll watch again to see if I notice anything.

Back
Top Bottom