Magpie call duck breeders?

Quote:
Really??? That is genius if it's true but... really? I thought they had other differences, breed wise, including their breed heritage... And if that's the case, then what will happen to all his off-color magpies now that he no longer sells anconas? I'm confused!

I first heard about the Anacona thing several years back on another forum that has a lot of waterfowl exhibtors that contribute to it...I vaguely recall that Anconas had come from Europe..but there was some fact checking done..and nobody in Great Britain knew anything about Ancona ducks. Here is a quote from another site:

"The Ancona was developed in Great Britain during the early twentieth century and most likely originated from Runner ducks and Huttegen ducks, an old Belgian duck. This is the same foundation stock as the Magpie duck. "They have been raised in the United States for several decades and were exhibited in 1983 in Oregon. Although still rare, their numbers have been increasing since 1984 when they first became available to the public." (Holderread 2001, 53)"

As you can see this quote is from Holderread himself and if one was shown for the first time in Oregon...well Mr. Holderread lives in Oregon, 1 + 1= 2.....No breeder from Great Britain has ever come forward to say he/she exported them over here. I truly dont know the what is truth and not truth...but I do know a lot of large waterfowl breeders and judges from both sides of the pond and they all tend to think this is a breed developed by Dave Holderread...that just happens to come from badly colored magpies. Like I have already stated..I dont know the truth one way or another and I probably shouldnt be repeating gossip..but....that is what is out there. I do know we sell ancona call ducks and they sell very well...heck I think my son has a pair that he is going to be selling in a few months on an auction site.

I am really wishing I hadnt even brought this up......I probably should have stayed out of this....and honestly I am just repeating what I have heard.

You can cross white calls on the magpie calls...but it has been done many times, have none of you ever gotten white calls from your Magpies? We do, along with black bibbed....the magpie color pattern does not seem to breed true for us and my son has been breeding them for some time. There are some pretty decent magpies with good type out there, but you would probably have to search for them at shows or auction sites.

Jer

Last edited:
Quote:
It would be pretty tough to get Anconas in the standard....Magpie calls are not even in the standard and there are many more breeders of that color pattern around. The call club is trying to get Blue Fawns in the standard this fall and that has been a lot of work...and there are a lot of Blue Fawns shown. You would need to get the club involved to pull it off...

These are my 2 girls. The white one has black on her back.

54686_dsc00777.jpg

54686_dsc00778.jpg

This is the male Eugene
54686_april_232011_duck_chickens_015.jpg

And these are a few of the babies they hatched.. There was also a, I think, blue fawn in the mix..I sold her, so not realy sure what she was..
54686_new_duck_pics_002.jpg

Oh.. the white one with the black beak is one of the moms.. NOT one of the babies..

These were the first babies I hatched out with that male.. I was soo suprised with the variety... Now I just need to improve there type..

Turbo, I have spent endless hours learning about anconas. They are listed in many books dated from before Holderead's writings. My assumtion would be that he would not have sold his ancona stock as he would still be getting anconas from his magpies and still have a need to sell them. Magpies are also smaller and more high strung. The truth is that many dual and meat breeds have at one point or another become scarce as pekins, since thier breeding are prized for thier quik development! If you look up the livestock conservancy website you can find out more there!

Also, you're right. It is very hard to get a new color recognised, but hard is only so if your not enjoying yourself
wink.png

plus, it was just an offer.

Quote:
Your probably right...I have not done much research on the Anconas in Great Britain, out of curiosity what books are you referring to? I did a quick search on waterfowl in Great Britain and could never find anything concerning them.

I think the hard part would be finding enough breeders that have been breeding the Ancona Call Ducks for 5 years...but hey I could be wrong on that point too.

I would love to dig up a few book names for you! The five years would begin at the point in time that you decided to make it a breed but I think that is not an issue as Alicia has decided not to try and get the color recognised at this point.

Alicia- My thoughts would be to get a white duck with really good conformation, a drake. Oh, and tonini is breeding the ancona color as well!

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "when you decided to make it a breed"....you would need the correct amount of breeders that have raised the variety for a 5 year time period..that time period would begin when they started working with the variety.

In the ABA you would need the following:

A petition for recognition of any breed or variety must be sent to the Secretary giving the history of it’s origin, breeding
background & facts of an educational nature.

Must include proposed name of breed or variety with the standard for shape, color and weight. Applications to both
associations (ABA & APA) must be of the same description, etc.

Affidavits need be included from not less than five breeders that they have bred the breed or variety for not less than
five years and it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size & comb.

Breeds or Varieties need to have been exhibited for two years prior at a show officiated by a licensed APA judge. The
secretary will contact these judges for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity.

A $$ deposit of a sum sufficient to defray the actual cost of placing the text in the Standard shall be received with the
petition to be returned if this case is rejected.

The petition will then be referred to the Standard committee who shall name a qualifying meet at a prominent show to be
judged by a licensed APA judge.

This meet shall consist of not less than fifty (50) specimens exhibited by five (5) exhibitors in all classes of cock, hen,
cockerel, pullet.

When satisfied the committee shall then recommend it’s acceptance by the Board of Directors, upon which it becomes a
recognized breed or variety

I meant color, not breed! I am not sure why you feel the need to take me so literally on everything but I find it to be taking away the light heartedness that is suppost to be on this forum.
hmm.png
Besides what stake do you have in wether or not it becomes a color?
idunno.gif
Can we forget about the whole Color thing? As i said before it was only in passing!

Back
Top Bottom