Magpie duck X silver appleyard

Olivers poultry

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2016
Chesterfield, England
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I have I male magpie duck and am looking to get him a friend , what I have been looking at buying is a female silver appleyard duck. Once she has started laying and breeding I am going to hatch there eggs. Does anybody have a hybrid of these or know what the offspring would look look like?

I think they would look something like a black Swedish duck, which is black with a white bib. Here is a page I found where this lady crossed a Magpie marked Ancona to a gold Harlequin (similar to Appleyard pattern) and got a bunch of babies that were bibbed like Swedish ducks. That is probably what you would get. Her ducks also carried blue and chocolate genes, so she got a variety of colors you probably wouldn't get, but their patterns were all consistently Swedish. She calls them Tuxedo ducks.

http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/whxblue.html

I think it is a good idea to get your drake some companions, but he will need more than one female. That is because male ducks are very relentless about breeding. If there is only one female, he wouldn't leave her alone, and she would get sick from exhaustion, but if there are many females he would have to divide his attention between all of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom