magpie ducks

I just bought three magpie ducklings today. My 3 y/'o grandson insisted on naming on Zoe, so we have Zoe, Chloe, and Finn. I'm hoping I vent sexed them right and got all hens. I was following a You-tube video, and it wasn't as easy as the girl made it look. Anyway, I set my brooder up in an unused shower, so it will be easier to clean. The girls are about 4-5 days old. My chickens were brooded in an old Pack and Play, but my last ducks were so messy that I thought the shower would work better. I can't wait to see my husband's face when he walks in the bathroom, lol.

The unless you have a shower floor that is composed entirely of those not stick pads, the smooth, slick surface of the shower will likely cause spraddle legs in the ducklings. They need traction on their floor. Even something as simple as newspaper, not nearly as slick as a dry shower bottom, can cause spraddle legs in young poultry. It is a good idea for cleaning purposes, but could hurt the little ones.

The unless you have a shower floor that is composed entirely of those not stick pads, the smooth, slick surface of the shower will likely cause spraddle legs in the ducklings. They need traction on their floor. Even something as simple as newspaper, not nearly as slick as a dry shower bottom, can cause spraddle legs in young poultry. It is a good idea for cleaning purposes, but could hurt the little ones.
Thanks. I forgot to say I put down towels and rubber drawer liner.

Back
Top Bottom