magpie ducks

JulieJo1216

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
I have two female magpie ducks. They are 3 almost 4 weeks old, Maggie and puddles. We are working on the coop for them but for now they got to stay in their plastic tub inside the house under the light. During the day I put then in a pen outside in the back yard so they can enjoy the sun and a swim. My question is can I leave the water and food out of their plastic tub at night until morning? They just make such a mess with the water all over like a swamp and of course they poop more too. And the area is not that big for them. I would so much appreciate all your feed back. I'm very new at the Duck raising. I'm mastering the chicken raising now thanks to all of you on this sight :)

The unless you have a shower floor that is composed entirely of those not stick pads, the smooth, slick surface of the shower will likely cause spraddle legs in the ducklings. They need traction on their floor. Even something as simple as newspaper, not nearly as slick as a dry shower bottom, can cause spraddle legs in young poultry. It is a good idea for cleaning purposes, but could hurt the little ones.
Thanks. I forgot to say I put down towels and rubber drawer liner.

I have two female magpie ducks. They are 3 almost 4 weeks old, Maggie and puddles. We are working on the coop for them but for now they got to stay in their plastic tub inside the house under the light. During the day I put then in a pen outside in the back yard so they can enjoy the sun and a swim. My question is can I leave the water and food out of their plastic tub at night until morning? They just make such a mess with the water all over like a swamp and of course they poop more too. And the area is not that big for them. I would so much appreciate all your feed back. I'm very new at the Duck raising. I'm mastering the chicken raising now thanks to all of you on this sight
smile.png
What we are doing is putting their feed and water up on bricks so it's taller and they can only get there head and beak in, and they don't make such a big mess like leaving down in the shavings or the floor of the brooder.

I been told ducks are much messier than chickens especially since they are more dramatic poo-ers and they are always splashing around in water. That's their nature, and why they really can't be cooped with chickens. Chickens will not do well being on wet shavings and splashed upon.

I been told ducks are much messier than chickens especially since they are more dramatic poo-ers and they are always splashing around in water. That's their nature, and why they really can't be cooped with chickens. Chickens will not do well being on wet shavings and splashed upon.
Exactly! Also, the more they're allowed to swim the less they'll play in their water i guess. Ducks, well any waterfowl are just hard to keep dry and clean 24/7!

Back
Top Bottom