Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Yeah! I am in good company!
hugs.gif

Kathy......

rasp1.gif

lau.gif

Last edited:
That looks pretty good, and a great price!! You're lucky to have found it!

We have some 4x2s and a 4x4. He's out of the brooder business right now and is building cold frames. :) I still need a few more raised beds too, so I think that's next, or right after my hoop houses for the garden.
I'm definitely pleased. I probably have the materials to make something similar, but it would take me many, many hours to figure it out, and no way it would be square.

th.gif
I'm sure you know how lucky you are! I could certainly use some brooders. Yup, I need a few more cold frames,... haven't started on the raised beds,... been dreaming of hoop houses...
And you hold the secret to the prize bloomers, too!
tongue.gif

aww. what kind are they?? TOO CUTE!!!!!
love.gif

You're not kidding, they had a rough day.

Do any of you keep a hatching journal? Last year I kept track of everything. Date, day eggs are on, how many to go, temp, humidity, basically everything. This year I am doing something different. I have a printed out calendar and I put down when and what I set, when due, and date of lockdown. When I candle, I subtract any that I take out. At the end of the hatch I write down how many of which breeds hatched. Any deaths in the brooder are also accounted for.

Does anyone else do this? I hope so, I would hate to think I am the only looney person out there.

I DID BUT THEN MY MOM BURNED THEM IN THE WOOD STOVE,
somad.gif
"IT WAS AN ACCIDENT" BUT, OH MAN WAS I HOT!!!
rant.gif
NOW I JUST USE THE CALENDER

I just hatched turkey for the 1st time. 4/7 developed and 4 hatched. Dry incubation, in the Brinsea, humidity was at 16%. I candled at lock down and all 4 were internally pipped and hatched the next day. 3 days early. Cute little things. I showed them food & water and they are on their own and doing great. 5 days old today.

WHAT KIND OF TURKEY POULTS ARE THEY???

Quote:
not sure...

I like recycling so I always ask. LOL 4 turners is cool! Now you can really go on a hatching frenzy. he he Are you going to be hatching in it or using another bator or hatcher?

One of the one's Bill and I made looked like your's, but we made it out of ????? think it was a shelving unit of some kind. No where near as big as your's, But it turned out decent. Our roblem we had at first was not having the light close enough to the thermostat. Matter of fact we made 2 with that mistake. LOL If I had more room and could pick it up with this arm, I'd bring it in an use it. I can't even get to it till this darn thing heals.

Last edited:
Yup, I write down everything. Every time I check the incubator (at least twice a day), I write down the temp and the humidity. I write down how much water I added, too. I've also been weighing the eggs before hatching and when I candle. Then I put it all on spreadsheets....

Yeah, I might have a problem...
roll.png

Do any of you keep a hatching journal? Last year I kept track of everything. Date, day eggs are on, how many to go, temp, humidity, basically everything. This year I am doing something different. I have a printed out calendar and I put down when and what I set, when due, and date of lockdown. When I candle, I subtract any that I take out. At the end of the hatch I write down how many of which breeds hatched. Any deaths in the brooder are also accounted for.

Does anyone else do this? I hope so, I would hate to think I am the only looney person out there.

Do any of you keep a hatching journal?  Last year I kept track of everything.

Does anyone else do this?  I hope so, I would hate to think I am the only looney person out there. 

I'm pretty much lucky if I remember how many eggs I put in. One hatch last year I counted the eggs 3 times and got 3 different totals :/

I'm definitely pleased.  I probably have the materials to make something similar, but it would take me many, many hours to figure it out, and no way it would be square.

Brooders have to be square? Oh oh....

I'd be happy with just a couple to, but so far I haven't have but 2 hatch out of maybe 40 eggs and they died. My eggs and chicks did just fine, but this is all I got and didn't even have them live past a week.

You might consider having fowlrus send some foam to the person shipping you eggs so you can see if that will help the shipped eggs' hatch rate.

Totally loony here. It makes me happy to keep things recorded like that.

A friend is building me this awesome new cabinet incubator...it's being tested as we speak, I should have it this Sunday, just in time for the hatch!!

Cheryl, I just built one 18 days ago...my first hatch is nearly due. I had to install a fan in the bottom where my heating element is to make it rise more forcefully. Don't put any precious eggs in it until you know all shelves are the same temperature!

Cheryl, I just built one 18 days ago...my first hatch is nearly due. I had to install a fan in the bottom where my heating element is to make it rise more forcefully. Don't put any precious eggs in it until you know all shelves are the same temperature!

thumbsup.gif
Great advice for everyone with an incubator with multiple shelves.

Back
Top Bottom