1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mahonri, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

2. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Look what I found on Craigslist! http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/grd/2853185697.html
    Ah, it will be mine! (Although apparently they have already sold four! SGC, you and your boyfriend should definitely be going in to business yourselves! I think yours were 4'x4' which would be twice as awesome.)
    [​IMG]
    I also bought a little rabbit cage on sale over the winter to use as a brooder (this one). I only have one EcoGlow, though. I guess if I have too many chicks for the new chick box then I will have to use a light....

Plans, plans....
    [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    isn't there a song about that somewhere.... "four & twenty blackbirds (color of your chicks) baked in a pie"

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG] Looks delish!!

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That looks pretty good, and a great price!! You're lucky to have found it!

We have some 4x2s and a 4x4. He's out of the brooder business right now and is building cold frames. :) I still need a few more raised beds too, so I think that's next, or right after my hoop houses for the garden.

6. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

SCG,

I say eat the whole pie and on the way to work tomorrow stop and pick up one from the grocery store. [​IMG]

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    After much foot dragging, I have finally committed (I probably should be committed! [​IMG] ). I will be hatching Blue/Splash Marans, and Wheaton/BW Ameraucanas, along with a few test eggs of my own (olive egger mutts).

Do I win a pie?

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    You're close enough to come and pick one up... I can make you one this weekend (I have a ton more hubbard squash in the freezer and boyfriend's working the entire weekend and the Monday holiday and I'm home alone!)

Glad you decided to join. [​IMG]

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Do any of you keep a hatching journal? Last year I kept track of everything. Date, day eggs are on, how many to go, temp, humidity, basically everything. This year I am doing something different. I have a printed out calendar and I put down when and what I set, when due, and date of lockdown. When I candle, I subtract any that I take out. At the end of the hatch I write down how many of which breeds hatched. Any deaths in the brooder are also accounted for.

Does anyone else do this? I hope so, I would hate to think I am the only looney person out there.

1 person likes this.
  10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I keep track of the eggs I collect, the seeds that I start but giiiirl I ain't that loony. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by