Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

LOL
th.gif
If you hatch 50 chicks, get the ecoglow 50. It looks like the height adjustment is much better. One tip with the 20, if you hatch small chicks, leave on side off and make a tilt for the little ones to go under and still touch the top.
Definitely the 50 is easier to adjust. I make one side higher than the other and let the chicks figure it out. Love mine! Plus I think it helps with weak legged chicks (IMO) since they stand a bit to press against the plate. Same concept as putting them in the cup - making them work a little. :)

Turning the lights off at night as you said, another big advantage. And you can put it anywhere- my chicks are currently in a big cardboard box so I can transport them to the barn after a day or two - I'd never stick a heat lamp in a cardboard box. ;)

Then there's the power savings... and I can put 'special needs' chicks under it and have fewer worries about pecking since they are hidden under the plate.

Looking at the eggs left in my incubator, they are smeared with dried sticky fluid from the early hatched chicks. I wonder if this would cover the egg enough to block oxygen from entering it, smothering the late chicks before they can pip?

My hatch was over last yesterday afternoon. The last egg was a late quitter with no internal pip. Hatched 11 out of 15 shipped eggs. Hatched 11 of 12 that went to lockdown. I knew one was a goner then, so really 12. I left the quitter in just to be sure.

Pictures of the Chicks"

I think you can see a part of all of them here. EO Marraduna Basque Hens

What a Character ! Poses for a picture at one day old
ep.gif

This is a picture of them hanging out under the Ecoglow 20

Last edited:
Looking at the eggs left in my incubator, they are smeared with dried sticky fluid from the early hatched chicks. I wonder if this would cover the egg enough to block oxygen from entering it, smothering the late chicks before they can pip?
I have 3 PIPS!! Wahoo!! :celebrate :woot

1 Green Egger Frizzle Fibromelanotic Turken [Shipped]
1 Icelandic
1 Tomaru Longcrower

:ya

1MuttsFan--
Interesting observation. You have a good point. IDK if you should wash them at this point. I do know that I have washed eggs during the first week of set when a broody and bothersome hens have broken en egg, covering the incubating eggs with yolk and whites. :/ Those I washed under warm water and dried with a clean clothe gently and returned them to the hen. ANd they hatched. :D Not sure at this point for your eggs.. Logic says to wash the eggs.

Sorry qote thing not working well--can't see first quotes to leave comments.:(

Last edited:
hugs.gif
So Sorry for your sick chicks. As I read about a sick chick here and there I can't help thinking about the good outcomes. For this hatchalong 267 people set thousands of eggs. Thousands hatched. Even with bad outcomes, I like doing hatching better than getting shipped chicks. I had a shipment with more than half of them dead. The replacement shipment had even more dead. Today when I opened up the last egg and saw the dead chick I was sad but realized that it did not even pip internally. It died late, but at least it did not freeze for days in a box sitting in a distribution center. It did not make it to me as one of the live ones, to then die two days later because it's organs were damaged.

Guys that was a lot of work trying to get them to live.

Sorry
hide.gif
for the rant. I am not against shipping chicks in general. I just think some Hatcheries(or one it particular) don't ship properly.
knock on wood I have never had a dead chick on arrival of chicks from hatcheries, I might lose one or two later... I think dead chicks have alot t0o do with the time of year and post office care. My office is very good with them. In fact the last eggs I bought the shipper forgot to put a phone number foer them to call me. My postal person made a special early stop so they didn't have to ride in the mail truck as long. I thought that was about her duties. But it was very nice of her....

Well when all is said and done I ended up with 5 chicks out of 52 eggs, 1 chick died last night managed to jump over the basket wall and get around the chicken wire to the light where it got caught and died :(

The four live chicks are totally adorable though 3 bantams and 1 standard sized bird.

Just had to share these pictures I just took. I posted them on BB Acres Facebook page to let people give name ideas. Thought it would be fun. Specially for the kids. The one with the wings flapped is my favorite. But sadly the flash scared the chick and that's how I got the pose. :( Bless it. Came out a great picture I think though.

I placed it in a cup with its legs banded. Used vet wrap so it wouldn't pull the feathers and then but a band-aid over top. Going to get rubber matting for it to walk on if it does....
fl.gif

Seriously thought this one was a goner. Woke up to find it walking around. Yay!!!!

I love this picture! I was told this might be a roo. Looked at the wings and it's different from the other two so I think they just might be right!

Dexter.

Is she giving me a dirty look??? haha

Back
Top Bottom