Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

One of my eggs has pipped but has blood coming through the pip. It is still alive, but is there any hope? It pipped in the middle of the egg.

if left alone it can be fine. it may take a little longer as the vessels have to recede...I have had mixed results when this happens. Just don't open the bator so the humidity stays high enough so it doen'ts get stuck...good luck

thumbsup.gif
What breed is the chick?

She/he is a silkie. Hatched out from eggs from Cj's silkies.

if left alone it can be fine. it may take a little longer as the vessels have to recede...I have had mixed results when this happens. Just don't open the bator so the humidity stays high enough so it doen'ts get stuck...good luck

I will just leave it be. I was thinking that if the vessels were right there, I didn't want to be messing with it and causing more problems. But I wanted to ask because I haven't had that happen before. Thanks for the help!

Well calling this hatch complete. I have 31 live chicks. I did have one more hatch and die. The last chick that hatched needed some help (sometimes I can't help myself and have to intervene) and we will see if it makes it. So far, a little weak but might make it. So 31 out of 66 set. Not great but keeping in mind that the last time I hatched was a year ago and this is only my 4th hatch I would say not too bad. I had 10 eggs that didn't do anything at all. I did not do eggtopsies, didn't want to see what might have been. I am so totally thrilled with the ones that hatched. The 30 in the brooder are running around, eating, drinking and most importantly pooping. So far not a sign of any pasty butt so I am greatful for that as well. I did give them a scarf to snuggle up with if they wanted. It is their favorite chick puddle sleeping place. Wish I had thought of doing that on earlier hatches. They love the scarf if the amount of poop on it is any indication.
wink.png

Ok, is it normal for chicks to sleep on their side? Cuz the 3 I pulled from the bator seemed unusually exhausted but I just chalked it up to hatching exhuastion. But one hatched last night and its still seems really tired. All 3 seem to sleep on their sides. There is food and water in the brooder. I thought one was dead cuz it was on its side and its legs kinda stretched out. But when I touched it it jumped up and started screaming at me. The heat is a little over 95 because the temps fluctuate alot in my basement. But brooder is huge so they can easily get away from the heat. So..please calm my nerves and tell me that they are fine.

Ok, is it normal for chicks to sleep on their side? Cuz the 3 I pulled from the bator seemed unusually exhausted but I just chalked it up to hatching exhuastion. But one hatched last night and its still seems really tired. All 3 seem to sleep on their sides. There is food and water in the brooder. I thought one was dead cuz it was on its side and its legs kinda stretched out. But when I touched it it jumped up and started screaming at me. The heat is a little over 95 because the temps fluctuate alot in my basement. But brooder is huge so they can easily get away from the heat. So..please calm my nerves and tell me that they are fine.

Very normal. They are tired for a couple days and sleep ALOT.

Back
Top Bottom