Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Heck, while holding the cookbook, I hit a button one my computer and it has gone FULL SCREEN. More importantly I need my little shrunk pages below the bottom slide bar back where I can see them. I'm always toggleng between BYC, publisher and my email. Oh and my boys keep their games loaded on firefox for a quick game!

HELP !!
I did this once! I finally figured it out. Just go to the top of your page..right click where there is no bars.. you will see the words, minimize, maxamize, just click minimize.

marking my spot
smile.png

My first initials happen to be MR, and I'm single... I have great fun with telemarketers (if I don't read CallerID first and refuse to answer).

Telemarketer: Hello, may I speak with Mr. <lastname>?

Me: There is no Mr. <lastname> living here.

Telemarketer: May I speak with Mrs. <lastname>, then?

Me: Nope, no Mrs. <lastname> lives here either. Sorry. Bye bye!

An emu egg!
droolin.gif

I hope your daughter is going to be okay. *prayers*

Just have to say it.... never pictured MRHEINZ as having parents..... It's this whole internet thing, and the fact that he (or she?) put the 'Mr' in front of his name. So then I have always pictured him as say, um.... older? Ok, so now my new vision of Mrheinz is actually a coed. Got it. With Parents. That come by and do his wash and monitor internet use during spring break. OK. Just saying.

My son and I are turning the one and only EMU egg several times per day. Temp is holding steady at 97 and my friends want to know What in the World was his teacher thinking sending home an exotic animal?! I am waiting not so patiently for our egg scale to come in the mail so I can check our humidity levels and have decided not to add any more water until I get a weight.

Arielle: Yes, the EMU was sitting on a blue glove when I took the picture, I was trying to cushion it a little. :)

I culled my first bird today. She was sick. It was sad.

We see a surgeon on Tues for my 21 yr old daughter. nothing definitive yet. I am scared but hopeful. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I think it's all going to be alright.

My grandmother taught me how to make a golden syrup from plain white sugar. It would probably do well in this recipe. It is absolutely wonderful over pancakes or French toast or waffles, or with biscuits.

Golden Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp butter (optional)

Place dry sugar in a heavy saucepan or iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the sugar carefully, being careful not to burn it. Add water all at once (but smoothly) and jump back 'cause it splatters. Once the splattering dies down, add the vanilla flavoring [and butter]. Cook to desired thickness.

ETA: Not all the sugar has to be melted. I was re-reading and it occurred to me that this part needed a bit of clarifying.

Last edited:
Good morning all!
Finally caught up after "neglecting" the thread yesterday.
wink.png

Mahonri, I read all the posts too but I do admit to skimming a little. BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about your temps fluctuating a little low at times. My first hatch I think I incubated the whole time around 98 and still got chicks. They hatched late, but they hatched. Remember Renee said fluctuations between 98 and 100 (? it might have been a little higher, only on my first cup of coffee) are just fine.
Busy weekend. Spring cleaning for the coops, the garage and the VW. Just got to the point where I couldn't look at any of them without doing something. This week coming up will be busy as well. I have a big presentation today at work for my Six Sigma certification. I get that done then I have to prep for my final presentation and then I get my certification (Green Belt, but not martial arts). I have already been asked if I want to go for Black Belt certification next year so I figure I must be doing something right.
wink.png

DH comes home in a little less than two weeks. In fact he comes home on hatching day. Is it bad to wish I get enough quitters to clear out the new bator so I can hide it?
wink.png
Just kidding, I will probably give him a heads up before he comes home so he is not surprised. I won't candle on day 10 since I did on Saturday but I will probably candle again next weekend and then once more before lockdown.
SCG Lurky (my turkey hen) is laying almost every day now. I will be able to easily send you the six eggs. I am trying to get up the nerve to crack her first egg and check for fertility. I just am not all that good at looking at the spot on the yolk and figuring it out. That egg will probably be to old to set anyway just hate doing it.
Well gotta get going. Can't wait for DH to get home. Miss him and I miss him doing half the chores around here.
wink.png

Ok d..I missed out somewhere..where's DH been? And, wow, Green Belt?

Sorry your incubator is hiccupping. I had mine do that last fall--light bulb dimmed, but not shut off. I never figured out why this happened. It had worked well for a long time.

When yours did that did you get any to hatch from that group of eggs? I get my new incubator today but I am not changing these eggs over. I already have eggs coming and I have gathered eggs to go into it when I get it.

Some of my Icelandics today........... had to let them out of their muddy pen!

Pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Gotta brag for a sec... My DW earned her Black Belt tonight in Uchido.. We are very proud of her and I thought I'd share with my "chicken" family! (now you know why I have a concealed weapons permit.. it's so I can still take her out into public...)

thumbsup.gif

I tried to post to the how many will hatch spreadsheet but I cant get it to let me! I'm knightie I think there will be 569 eggs hatched. Uhm I think 69 of Mahonri's will hatch and thr first or hatched will be w/wb amerucana (sp) gold laced orps and small dark layers anything else needed for this?

I think you are on the list

I ate my goose egg for dinner. Well, I had to check it for fertility, right?? Not fertile, but it was a double yolker!!!

Yay!

Quote:
Quote:
And this is why I won't EVER have geese. I just don't like things that chase me.

Quote:
Spangled you crack me up! Thanks for the chuckle

Yup, week one contests are officially over! Week two contests have begun today. Make sure to check out the contest page for more details.
Thebirdguy's
hatching-chicken-hello.jpg
Cutest Baby Picture Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST
Kellyn's
Best Incubator Design Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST

Being a couple days behind has messed me up on some of the contests but today is a state holiday and since I work for the local government it's a day off for me
wee.gif
If ya'all aren't too busy chattering today I might actually get caught up again.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Sounds yummy, do I need to use a different yeast?

No, use the same yeast. The recipe looks fine. I did try Italian flour(from KAF of course) but I did not care for it. I guess I am too much of an American. I use the bulk yeast from Costco and the Organic AP flour they sell. That reminds me, it is almost time for more of those....another trip to Costco(Ok, the store is two miles from my house)

Edited to add: you don't need the sugar. Part of the flour will break down to sugar.

I had eliminated the sugar but found it slow to rise when the kids are very hungry and I need to speed the process along. Unfortunately, our bodies arenegatively effected by both sugar and white flour.
barnie.gif
So I try to make it a source of fiber. Lots of bran!! SOmetimes I skip the bread and just cook up the vegies/meat with pasta sauce and sticks of mozzarella on the side! Faster and healthier.
smile.png

Yes, the sugar is good and there is not much--the yeast will eat it--and is important if you are making the pizza within an hour or so of making the dough.

Sorry to not be clear on what I meant. You don't need the sugar if you make it in the morning and let the dough rise all day.

Yes, Sugar and simple carbohydrates have ruined our health for 40 years or so. People are still being told to cut oils and increase carbs.

sugared soda is the number one source of calories in the US.

Back
Top Bottom