Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Ok someone asked about an egg stuck in turner...i have one. And it feels glued in...i'm thinking weeping egg? But it doesn't smell. So should I just leave it be till the hatch is done or take all the eggs out and wash that turner till the egg comes out?

Funny fact. I set most eggs on the 17th, and some on the 19th. Half of the 19th ones are in my HM and half have been moved to my hovabator which has had those massive heat spikes. Day 17 eggs are running a little cool I think. So. Day 17 eggs Day 19 hovabator eggs look about the same development. Day 19 HM eggs a little behind. So I guess temps really do affect the development of the eggs!
***why you might want to check on your eggs before day 10***

I like the candle them from the top while the eggs are in the turner. You can look for cracks and see if there is weeping.

I had one stick with shipped Lemon Orpington eggs. I did the little drops of warm water and gently twist the eggs. The egg came out easily. Three of the eggs weeped out of 12 with that batch. I had two develop and none hatch
rant.gif
Shipping can be hard on them.

Does anyone know if you can turkey and chicken the same? I am canning turkey today, and am trying to decide if there is freezer camp in store for my cockerels... if I could just can them, then they can get quite a bit bigger beforehand...

I have 2 entries for this contest....
. Thebirdguy's
hatching-chicken-hello.jpg
Cutest Baby Picture Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST
Pictures can be of a baby of any breed or species but the picture must be taken by the entrant. Limit 3 entries per person. Contest is open only during week two: 24 to 30 March. OPEN TO ALL OF BYC, NOT JUST THE HATCHERS! Post your picture in the Easter Hatch Thread and PM it to Thebirdguy!
Prize: 12 raffle tickets for the Rocky Mountain Chickenstock on May 5th where Greenfire Eggs and much much more can be won. FMI: click here.

Here they are.............

Thanks, I've worked hard with her. I almost hate to go to work this morning and leave her for the day. I did choose the best picture of her, in several she was still standing on her hock. It's her right leg that's messed up and still crosses behind at times. So she stands on her left hock with her left wing extended to stabilize. Pretty clever for a litte chick, she could be a tightrope walker.

I do think she'll make it and be able to integrate with the younger group of chicks brooder. They are about a week younger than her and shouldn't overpower her too much.
You have a "funambulist" chick! How cool! (That's your Word Look Up for the day... )

Quote:
My grandmother taught me how to make a golden syrup from plain white sugar. It would probably do well in this recipe. It is absolutely wonderful over pancakes or French toast or waffles, or with biscuits.

Golden Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp butter (optional)

Place dry sugar in a heavy saucepan or iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the sugar carefully, being careful not to burn it. Add water all at once (but smoothly) and jump back 'cause it splatters. Once the splattering dies down, add the vanilla flavoring [and butter]. Cook to desired thickness.
This is something I can attempt!
bow.gif

Mahonri, I read all the posts too but I do admit to skimming a little.

Me too. Every single post, some of them skimmed more for key words, but most of them followed with great interest.

I am going to have to take my 10 year old Himalayan, Smudge, to the vet to help him cross the Rainbow Bridge today. I absolutely HATE not being home enough during the week to catch symptoms before it's gotten too late. Hope I can get an appointment because I don't want him to suffer any more. He's not eating or drinking and can hardly walk. I feel like such a bad mother.

...off to search the 'Net for the phone number of the closest veterinarian / pet hospital - at least I know where it is.

HAHAHA Same with mine! Up till 4:30 am everynight, same thing the last night, got a call from England at 6am saying she was kicking at the stall door to get outside and seemed to be getting upset, so woke up hubby who went to bed at a decent hour, he went out, let her out in the pasture where there was no camera!, "but kept an eye" and around 11 am in the baking sun of 100+ degrees, he left to go get hay, so she laid out in the pasture and foaled on her own! So we ALL missed it. But I love marestare. After this hatch along, I may get back on and catch some foalings.

OMG that soooo brings me back to watching my mare. Watched her for two weeks, was exhausted and MISSED it.
hit.gif

I'll candle on day 10... Tuesday.... sometime before I go to bed Then we'll see how I feel about the hatch.

This waiting takes forever, but this week is going to be so EXTREMELY BUSY!

I'm booked heavy MON-WED... I have to do payroll for payday Wednesday night... DW will be off with a youth group at the HUGE Easter Pageant at the Mesa Temple and then I get to take & bring back the youngest two to scouts/achievement days etc... Tuesday sometime I need to run to Mesa to pic up some Oxine and Denegaurd that Kevs-chickadees of the AZ peeps bulk ordered for us.

Then, THU-SAT is the Western Regional Dental Convention at the downtown Phoenix Convention Center. 6 hours everyday of lectures etc.. with a 2 hour lunch in the middle. (8 hours total) ... gets tiring/taxing.... It's always good to get those continuing education credit hours, but Thursday I have my Spanish class, and Saturday I should be watching our Worldwide General Conference... I'll have to figure out a way to watch it online later... but Saturday night I need to be home to go with my boys to the evening session via Satellite Transmission at one of our Churches. ... and then I always take them out to eat. Also! Starting Wed. evening after work, DW will be working with contractors to remodel/redo our patient bathroom at the office and that all has to be completely done and in working order by Saturday evening.... I'll be so happy when it's Sunday the 1st!

Stress week.
What a great dad..We will be sitting in our t.v. room on Sat. and Sun.
And what a great wife to help you out!

Wind stopped! Yaay! Just a little windy now. That was pretty serious stuff going on out there! Power stayed on, tree stayed up. Whew. I wonder how many trees did go down though, and I'm sure some trees lost some big branches.

I am going to have to take my 10 year old Himalayan, Smudge, to the vet to help him cross the Rainbow Bridge today. I absolutely HATE not being home enough during the week to catch symptoms before it's gotten too late. Hope I can get an appointment because I don't want him to suffer any more. He's not eating or drinking and can hardly walk. I feel like such a bad mother.

...off to search the 'Net for the phone number of the closest veterinarian / pet hospital - at least I know where it is.

So sorry about your kitty. I love Himalayans
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom