Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

My grandmother taught me how to make a golden syrup from plain white sugar. It would probably do well in this recipe. It is absolutely wonderful over pancakes or French toast or waffles, or with biscuits.

Golden Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp butter (optional)

Place dry sugar in a heavy saucepan or iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the sugar carefully, being careful not to burn it. Add water all at once (but smoothly) and jump back 'cause it splatters. Once the splattering dies down, add the vanilla flavoring [and butter]. Cook to desired thickness.

Quote:

Will definitely try the golden syrup method!!! I still try to push my boys to reduce the amount of sugar they put on the oatmeal and pancakes--it's a project in process!! LOL

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about your temps fluctuating a little low at times. My first hatch I think I incubated the whole time around 98 and still got chicks. They hatched late, but they hatched. Remember Renee said fluctuations between 98 and 100 (? it might have been a little higher, only on my first cup of coffee) are just fine.

I have two thermometers on top of my eggs and they both read different, so I'm going with the hope that they will just hatch late if there is an actual difference.

I'm not sure what "mare stare" is. We foaled the old fashioned way and I got lucky. I was checking on her every half hour through the evening/night. Vet had checked on her earlier that day so we were confident it would be that night. I arrived for the 1 AM check - she looked at me as if to say - "Where have you been????" Big groan and she expelled her water. LOADS of water. He was up and nursing by 4 AM. I nearly wore out the camera that night. Absolutely textbook smooth delivery. Videotaped the whole thing too.

Did you foal with mare stare?

Quote:

Quote:
Sounds yummy, do I need to use a different yeast?

No, use the same yeast. The recipe looks fine. I did try Italian flour(from KAF of course) but I did not care for it. I guess I am too much of an American. I use the bulk yeast from Costco and the Organic AP flour they sell. That reminds me, it is almost time for more of those....another trip to Costco(Ok, the store is two miles from my house)

Edited to add: you don't need the sugar. Part of the flour will break down to sugar.

I had eliminated the sugar but found it slow to rise when the kids are very hungry and I need to speed the process along. Unfortunately, our bodies arenegatively effected by both sugar and white flour.
barnie.gif
So I try to make it a source of fiber. Lots of bran!! SOmetimes I skip the bread and just cook up the vegies/meat with pasta sauce and sticks of mozzarella on the side! Faster and healthier.
smile.png

Yes, the sugar is good and there is not much--the yeast will eat it--and is important if you are making the pizza within an hour or so of making the dough.

Sorry to not be clear on what I meant. You don't need the sugar if you make it in the morning and let the dough rise all day.

Yes, Sugar and simple carbohydrates have ruined our health for 40 years or so. People are still being told to cut oils and increase carbs.

sugared soda is the number one source of calories in the US.

A show on TV reported the effects of 1 -2 -3 cans of soda a day on,I can' t remember now, either the heart attack rate or stroke rate, Each level building the chances of doom. I did succeed in having DH switch to sugar free soda with in the last year, as he drinks one everyday on the drive home. THe body is not supposed to be eating high carb diet; I think, what would people be eating 200 years ago: Meats, nuts, whole fruits, yogurt. Of course, whole milk, unless the milkfat was skimmed off. Fresh milk didn't last, it was turned into cheese, yogurt and cultured milk.

Saw a new program on PBS heralding the health improvements one can make just by eliminating all the junk foods and refined carbs, and the result is elimination of type II diabetes and vessels can then repair themselves to prevent arthro schlerosis. I read Atkins 10 years ago and kept my gestational diabetes under control by following the maintenance phase of the diet. Even in the last month of pregnancy I lost 10 pounds, and the baby hatched at 9+ pounds. Only years later did I really follow atkins. I sleep better, my A1c's are better.THis new show said brain fuction is improved too. HE called alzheimers' Diabetes III. Now that's a wake up call!! THe best part it is preventable and simply changing the diet NOW makes a huge difference.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a carb addict and I've had to change my life without the support of the doctors, which are still anti fat and high carb promoters. My life has improved tremendously since giving up breads, sugars, and high starch vegetables.

Quote:
Good to know!! Will try it when I'm feeling brave.

I'm not sure what "mare stare" is. We foaled the old fashioned way and I got lucky. I was checking on her every half hour through the evening/night. Vet had checked on her earlier that day so we were confident it would be that night. I arrived for the 1 AM check - she looked at me as if to say - "Where have you been????" Big groan and she expelled her water. LOADS of water. He was up and nursing by 4 AM. I nearly wore out the camera that night. Absolutely textbook smooth delivery. Videotaped the whole thing too.

Quote:

A lovely picture. Much nicer to enjoy someone else's foal! I'm a nervous wreck and dog tired from too many sleepless nights by the time my mares foal. Though one was kind enough to drop at 8 pm , he was named Enchanted Evening, aka Prince. Fortunately mares tend to be textbook deliveries.

A show on TV reported the effects of 1 -2 -3 cans of soda a day on,I can' t remember now, either the heart attack rate or stroke rate, Each level building the chances of doom. I did succeed in having DH switch to sugar free soda with in the last year, as he drinks one everyday on the drive home. THe body is not supposed to be eating high carb diet; I think, what would people be eating 200 years ago: Meats, nuts, whole fruits, yogurt. Of course, whole milk, unless the milkfat was skimmed off. Fresh milk didn't last, it was turned into cheese, yogurt and cultured milk.

Saw a new program on PBS heralding the health improvements one can make just by eliminating all the junk foods and refined carbs, and the result is elimination of type II diabetes and vessels can then repair themselves to prevent arthro schlerosis. I read Atkins 10 years ago and kept my gestational diabetes under control by following the maintenance phase of the diet. Even in the last month of pregnancy I lost 10 pounds, and the baby hatched at 9+ pounds. Only years later did I really follow atkins. I sleep better, my A1c's are better.THis new show said brain fuction is improved too. HE called alzheimers' Diabetes III. Now that's a wake up call!! THe best part it is preventable and simply changing the diet NOW makes a huge difference.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a carb addict and I've had to change my life without the support of the doctors, which are still anti fat and high carb promoters. My life has improved tremendously since giving up breads, sugars, and high starch vegetables.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Amen
barnie.gif

My DW is a type II diabetic. She has an app on her Droid phone that tracks calories. Last week the App told her she was not eating enough carbs and was eating too much protein. Her cabs were over 40% and the App said she needed to be over 50% carbs...for a Diabetic...Her protein was 23%. I told her she needed more protein, less carbs and more good fat. She checked some more sources and agreed with me. That is the kind of bad information people are getting. My DW went to a nutrition class for Diabetics--turns out the class was focused on how to get insurance to pay for Gastric Bypass surgery
smack.gif

Last edited:

I'm a nervous wreck and dog tired from too many sleepless nights by the time my mares foal.
Both excellent examples of "mare stare"
wink.png
Staying up (or getting up every 1/2 hour) staring at the mare till you look kinda like this:

Back
Top Bottom