Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I'm not sure what "mare stare" is. We foaled the old fashioned way and I got lucky. I was checking on her every half hour through the evening/night. Vet had checked on her earlier that day so we were confident it would be that night. I arrived for the 1 AM check - she looked at me as if to say - "Where have you been????" Big groan and she expelled her water. LOADS of water. He was up and nursing by 4 AM. I nearly wore out the camera that night. Absolutely textbook smooth delivery. Videotaped the whole thing too.
Put the video on youtube..folks love that, especially when it's happened that fast. Helps a lot of people when it's their turn..then there's those that miss out. :/

Just had to share a pic of my broody bantam with her 4, 4-1/2 week old babies. I have no idea how the babies got up on the roost. We have no ladder for the girls and guys to get up there and it's about 4 feet off the floor.

Now I want a baby goat! DH would kill me!
hide.gif
Adorable kid.
clap.gif

Oh I am in love. Here I am a city girl. Moved in with my dad when I got out of the Army to help him out and now I have goats and chickens. Never would of thought!! I almost didn't go to school today just so I could sit home and watch the baby. lol

Just wanted to share this pic of my broody hen Cinderella and her first chick she has ever hatched!!! I am sooooo excited for her!!! I saw 2 heads but couldn't get a pictur quick enough, she had 4 eggs she was sittin on so could be more,
celebrate.gif

That is just adorable! I just hatched my first Silkies yesterday. Can't believe how many people want them! I have more in the bator for not this Wed. but next. So, I hear they are a pretty good broody bird.

It reminds me of watching a hen stealing eggs from another's nest... they tuck the eggs under a wing and carry it. Wonder if she did something similar to get them up to the perch?

Just had to share a pic of my broody bantam with her 4, 4-1/2 week old babies. I have no idea how the babies got up on the roost. We have no ladder for the girls and guys to get up there and it's about 4 feet off the floor.

I took the emus outside today to enjoy the beautiful weather. They are 16 days old today.

They looked hot, so Tyler (my son) handed me a dish of water for them.
They tried to get IN the water!

And then......... they pouted because they couldn't fit.

There was an old pan outside, so I filled it with water from the hose, as they watched.
Wilma thanked me with a big smile, "Awww, yes, that's the ticket!"

Fred tasted it.

l

Wilma, then, jumped right in and stayed a while.....

Wilma is a character, and obviously the most forward of the two.

Last edited:
I took the emus outside today to enjoy the beautiful weather. They are 16 days old today.

They looked hot, so Tyler (my son) handed me a dish of water for them.
They tried to get IN the water!

And then......... they pouted because they couldn't fit.

There was an old pan outside, so I filled it with water from the hose, as they watched.
Wilma thanked me with a big smile, "Awww, yes, that's the ticket!"

Fred tasted it.

l

Wilma, then, jumped right in and stayed a while.....

Wilma is a character, and obviously the most forward of the two.

Kathy, I think you might be the only person who could make a slideshow from a family vacation entertaining, because your photo essays are riveting!!

I want emus. There. I said it.

Back
Top Bottom