Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Penelope looks awesome! Good job!

I've only ever had to cull one chick... it was a bad experiment... left an egg on the counter for about 10 days (I was going to blow it out but didn't get around to it). Put it under a broody along with some other eggs and it hatched with a twisted neck and one part of its body (?where it was stuck to the shell for 10 days?) had no fur and you could see the muscle development was weak there. Momma kept throwing it out of the nest, so I brought it in for 24 hrs and tried to help. It was beyond help. It would twist and basically stand on its head. I knew the outcome so I culled it quickly.

Good morning all!
Finally caught up after "neglecting" the thread yesterday.
wink.png

Mahonri, I read all the posts too but I do admit to skimming a little. BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about your temps fluctuating a little low at times. My first hatch I think I incubated the whole time around 98 and still got chicks. They hatched late, but they hatched. Remember Renee said fluctuations between 98 and 100 (? it might have been a little higher, only on my first cup of coffee) are just fine.
Busy weekend. Spring cleaning for the coops, the garage and the VW. Just got to the point where I couldn't look at any of them without doing something. This week coming up will be busy as well. I have a big presentation today at work for my Six Sigma certification. I get that done then I have to prep for my final presentation and then I get my certification (Green Belt, but not martial arts). I have already been asked if I want to go for Black Belt certification next year so I figure I must be doing something right.
wink.png

DH comes home in a little less than two weeks. In fact he comes home on hatching day. Is it bad to wish I get enough quitters to clear out the new bator so I can hide it?
wink.png
Just kidding, I will probably give him a heads up before he comes home so he is not surprised. I won't candle on day 10 since I did on Saturday but I will probably candle again next weekend and then once more before lockdown.
SCG Lurky (my turkey hen) is laying almost every day now. I will be able to easily send you the six eggs. I am trying to get up the nerve to crack her first egg and check for fertility. I just am not all that good at looking at the spot on the yolk and figuring it out. That egg will probably be to old to set anyway just hate doing it.
Well gotta get going. Can't wait for DH to get home. Miss him and I miss him doing half the chores around here.
wink.png

images

We have an even dozen
images
days until Hatch Day!! There have been some great contest entries but more are needed. Be sure to check out the Contest Page and submit your entries to the appropriate person that is in charge of the contest you want to enter after you post them here on the thread. Your entry may be overlooked among all the other photos so you need to make sure you PM it!!

Right Now
30.png
Today Tonight Tomorrow

Partly Cloudy Sunny Clear Mostly Sunny
38°F 49° 26° 56°
Feels Like: 29°
Get FREE weather on your desktop
High Low High
Past 24-hr:
Precip: 0 in
Snow: 0 in Chance of Rain:
0% Chance of Precip:
0% Chance of Rain:
10%
Wind:
From NNW at 14mph Wind:
N at 15 mph Wind:
N at 11 mph Wind:
ESE at 7 mph
Through 2pm: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady near the mid 40s. Winds N at 15 to 20 mph. Plentiful sunshine. High 49F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. Mainly clear skies. Hard freeze expected. Low 26F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph. Sunny along with a few clouds. High 56F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

The whole purpose of pizza nights for me is not cooking lol

Quote:

I hear you--a night off from cooking for me means the kids fix their own food!! On those nights its fruit, cheese, yogurt, smoothies or heating up frozen vegies. The kids learn to get their own food. My 9 year old can boil a piece of fish any time he wants or make scrambled eggs for himself or his younger brother.

Quote:
Sounds yummy, do I need to use a different yeast?

No, use the same yeast. The recipe looks fine. I did try Italian flour(from KAF of course) but I did not care for it. I guess I am too much of an American. I use the bulk yeast from Costco and the Organic AP flour they sell. That reminds me, it is almost time for more of those....another trip to Costco(Ok, the store is two miles from my house)

Edited to add: you don't need the sugar. Part of the flour will break down to sugar.

I had eliminated the sugar but found it slow to rise when the kids are very hungry and I need to speed the process along. Unfortunately, our bodies arenegatively effected by both sugar and white flour.
barnie.gif
So I try to make it a source of fiber. Lots of bran!! SOmetimes I skip the bread and just cook up the vegies/meat with pasta sauce and sticks of mozzarella on the side! Faster and healthier.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom