Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Can I join again? I think that Kathy said that was OK, or was I supposed to use another name?
hide.gif

Oh no . . . the recruiter strikes again! Kathy is really wanting those bloomers!

"GASP" java girl somehow gets to the surface..... "great how am I to get to shore now she asks, looking around she see a.......... does anyone want add to the story and see how long we can keep it going????
wink.png
you know till we get to set eggs
clap.gif

Looking around she sees a giant bed with a luxurious pink down comforter floating by. Snorting salt water she clambers aboard and ..........

... and sees a bunch of incubators on this ship too... in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.... and then she looks inside the incuabators and realizes, they are all empty because...

Originally Posted by Mahonri

... and sees a bunch of incubators on this ship too... in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.... and then she looks inside the incuabators and realizes, they are all empty because...

"Oh No!, the egg pirates have struck again!" As she peers around behind her across the waves she sees the ship, disappearing towards the horizon. She can see the black flag with its skull and crossbones waving from the mast and can just make out the ship's name . . . . USPS. "Oh no, not again!"

VERY GOOD !!!!!!!!!!
clap.gif
NOW LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT...........
pop.gif

Quote:
Wow, so many posts since this one was made. For those following along, the topic is how to get a good hatch. Hatchability of the eggs. Whether or not an egg has a chance of hatching (given great incubation techniques and proper pre-incubator storage procedures) can be affected ... actually, it's almost probably completely affected by the nutrition of the breeding adults. And Mahonri's BYC 3rd Annual Easter Hatch definitely has a CONTEST element to it to see who can get the best hatch!

Anyway, ChestnutRidge, I went to see if I could find the footnoted document concerning good proteins for hatchability and it was online! Source is the 37th Annual Report for fiscal year ending June 30, 1926, of the Agricultural Experiment Station of the Alabama Polytechnic Institute in Auburn, about page 14. Vegetable Protein Studies by John Ivey. It seems like they were trying to figure out if they could a vegetable protein based on what was local, easily available, economical for egg production (numbers) and for production of hatching eggs (quality).

The results of some tests showed some interesting stuff. This is from around about 1927, though, so it's probably not even valid any longer. They compared 4 groups of chickens eating 4 different feeds based on 4 different proteins: soybean meal, meat, peanut meal, cottonseed meal. They set altogether around 6500 eggs.

Infertile eggs by percentages rounded by me because I'm terrible at typing numerals:
Cottonseed meal: 11
Peanut meal: 8
Soybean meal: 19
Meato (control): 10

Embryonic death before day 18 by percentages rounded by me
Cottonseed meal: 9
Peanut meal: 4
Soybean meal: 8
Meato (control): 5

Embryonic death 21st day by percentages rounded by me
Cottonseed meal: 40
Peanut meal: 21
Soybean meal: 33
Meato (control): 24

Percent of eggs hatching
Cottonseed meal: 40
Peanut meal: 67
Soybean meal: 39
Meato (control): 62

So, I think I would add some peanut meal (or just some peanuts) to our supplementals during breeding season to get some better hatches if only it didn't cost so much. I guess they were a little more available in Alabama in 1927 than in other parts of the country.

Yep yep, we had about 1/2 inch lastnight.. and supposivly 2-4 inches today and more tonight.
High is 38 today, low is 17.
I just moved the NYD Marans out to the coop yesterday. I guess I better check on them, maybe add a 24/7 100watt heat lamp just for them.

Today
snow.gif
Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Highs 33 to 39. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph.
Tonight
nt_chancesnow.gif
Chance of snow showers in the evening...Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Lows around 17.

Weatherman says Boston (Bryce) is going to get snowed on up in Heber...

Yep yep, we had about 1/2 inch lastnight.. and supposivly 2-4 inches today and more tonight.
High is 38 today, low is 17.
I just moved the NYD Marans out to the coop yesterday. I guess I better check on them, maybe add a 24/7 100watt heat lamp just for them.

Today
snow.gif
Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Highs 33 to 39. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph.
Tonight
nt_chancesnow.gif
Chance of snow showers in the evening...Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Lows around 17.

Here in California, it was 34 for the low today. The high will be 58. I moved six 8 week old EE's(one is a Marans) out to a little coop on Sunday and put a Brinsea eco glow heater out with them. When I check on them last night they were all together in a nest box, not anywhere near the eco glow.

California is great in the winter--not so great in the summer. Last summer was cool. We only had 20 or so days over 105. Several years ago we had a "heat Storm" The month of July had temps from 105 to 111 for the entire month. June and August were very hot too.

It is freezing up at my house today. Cold with the threat of rain, and WINDY. BarfmasterE and I were sniffling the whole time during Runner's Club.

Back
Top Bottom