Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Picked up some baby bird/parrot food at PetSmart yesterday when I was that direction. Made sure I had some vitamin/electrolyte powder and that the heat lamps worked. Got some Start N Grow from the elevator this week. Told the local grocery store that I'd like for them to save me a few big cardboard boxes to use as "disposable brooders". Next on the to-do list is candle on Tuesday night!
celebrate.gif
The old Farm Master incubator is holding temps and humidity. One week down, two to go!!!

You are sooooooooo organized!

I just found this thread! Amazing. It took a while to read this book of posts, but Phew! I only have two chicks. Mama Hen and Baby Chick. I'll keep tabs now.

I have enough room for an emu! I even have a fence all the way around the back yard; just have to extend the wire fencing to the top of the posts, and then the overhang that deters the detainees from becoming escapees. I can get to the back yard through the house, or through three different gates. There is plenty of shade as well as sunshine, and loads to see all around.

*sigh* I have 15 cats, 4 dogs, and all my chickens to feed. Not sure I could afford an emu on top of all that.

Ok, So I candeled tonight. Patience has never been my virtue. I have some pictures that I want to share and get some feedback on. I have a hard time pulling anything out of the incubator, so if it needs to go, please feel free to share with me.

Many of them kind of have this dark shadowing on the bottom.

This one has very little veining in comparison to the others.

Its hard to tell from a picture, but this "black spot" is on the very tip of the egg. Almost like there is no air cell but it is harder to see thru.

Blood ring? Should I toss it? Wait till it seeps or smells?

Blood ring? And I see no veins, so no development...and why did I leave it in the incubator?

This one is for wolftracks...your purple egg...good luck seeing in that!

This one you can really see the shadow of the chick, but I saw NO movement. On the others I could see veins moving etc...could it be a quitter?

I just candled the eggs I set for the hatchalong. Following the EO Basque thread, I hoped that my eggs from James would be like the others and boy do they live up to their reputation! Only one is a clear. The Rest of them have very nice veining. So, 14 out of 15 are developing with shipped eggs.
wee.gif

If I were going to be shipping fertile eggs, I would become best friends with James to figure out how he is doing this. Is it the way he ships them? Is it what he feeds them? Maybe it's because he has 80 of them and ships from I think 60 of them, so the eggs are collected and shipped on the same day?

Whatever he is doing:
bow.gif

Not the same with the other times I hatched shipped eggs. The fertility rate is better than what I often get with eggs I pick up locally.

Cayuse not sure about #4 but #5 really does look like a blood ring. Everything else should stay!
celebrate.gif
Candled all 66 of my eggs tonight. I pulled eleven clears. Three of them were Konzas and one I/P the rest were mine. Surprisingly all but one of them was brown.
hu.gif
All of my fluffy AM's are developing including the franken-egg with the wax. I am really amazed by this and so glad I followed Renee's instructions. I know it may still quit, but I really thought I would have to pull it for nondevelopment.
wee.gif
Now I have to go find something that was said a week ago
wink.png

I need reassurance. Like a lot. I was candling yesterday to show a cousin and her little boy a developing hatching egg. And I showed them one. Then I went to grab another. And it was STUCK TO THE EGG TURNER!!!!!!!! My heart dropped. I didn't try to budge it for fear of breaking. I had it out just the other day. (I was looking to see if I could see into my darkest egg). Ahhhhhh what could this mean? What do I do? Someone please help.:(

Last edited:
I had that happen in my last hatch. I kept putting warm water along the sides to help "release it and it still broke when I pulled it out. Made quite the mess. I hope someone else has a better idea.

I need reassurance. Like a lot. I was candling yesterday to show a cousin and her little boy a developing hatching egg. And I showed them one. Then I went to grab another. And it was STUCK TO THE EGG TURNER!!!!!!!! My heart dropped. I didn't try to budge it for fear of breaking. I had it out just the other day. (I was looking to see if I could see into my darkest egg). Ahhhhhh what could this mean? What do I do? Someone please help.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom