Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Quote:
I think someone needs to post a pic of this thoughtful gift!!

I keep meaning to do that. Now I want to see the yellow "footed" one though.
cool.png

Okay, I'll try, but it may take a while, the equipment is at two different locations!

Last edited:
Oh, dear. I guess it's standard building practice to insulate the foundation with XPS (extruded polystyrene), but it does look just like cement/concrete when painted. Well, until pecked to pieces by chickens! It's toxic to birds that eat enough of it, right? Someone in another thread mentioned that she lost at least 1 (but I think it was two) chickens to the ingestion of a bunch of styrofoam (which, I think is also polystyrene). Dunno. I wonder if slapping some fine/smoothed stucco or drive-it (sp?)over the top of it would help at all. Again, dunno. Once chickens start doing something, they don't like to stop, so they might just keep pecking at the stucco and peck through a thin layer of it to get to the insulation.

The stucco-ing is actually on our list of things "to do" ... eventually. It's a triage list right now and the styrofoam just doesn't rate that high. The driveway's washed out and the roof's almost ready to go, we need trees down ASAP, the front yard beds are a mess... poison ivy needs to be removed... so they'll probably continue to eat it for another year or so. No one's died. They mostly peck it and drop it, not eat it.

Wicked cute!

Chestnut ridge, do you think the photo of the Basque you posted is a roo or a hen? Four of mine have that coloring, but with big legs, and those little combs sprouting out are making me nervous. Only one of mine has no comb. (Oh well, more dinner for SCG
wink.png
).

I am thinking that one is a girl. So far, I think I either have 4/6 boys or 3/6 boys, obviously hoping for the later. I am not too sure on the combs yet - some are really intermediate. A few of mine are definitely boys while there are another few in question...

We'll see. I have one who was white-winged at a few days old but is dark-colored now and very clearly barred. I am thinking that one is a boy. I've got another that was white-winged at a few days old but is pretty small and staying pretty cream-colored. So,... no idea.

Some of you may have remember that I had gotten a few Emu eggs, and I had set them a few days before the setting for the Easter hatch? Well, one of my sister and I saw one of the eggs wiggle! Whoo Hoo!!! :ya It means that it is alive!!! Only 9 more days to go, as today is day 41!!! :th So, there are one more egg left from the Easter hatch that may hatch. :D The other egg, I am 90 percent sure that is no good, but I am happy with the live one, plus have 3 more eggs that are just past halfway of incubation. :woot

Some of you may have remember that I had gotten a few Emu eggs, and I had set them a few days before the setting for the Easter hatch? Well, one of my sister and I saw one of the eggs wiggle! Whoo Hoo!!!
ya.gif
It means that it is alive!!! Only 9 more days to go, as today is day 41!!!
th.gif
So, there are one more egg left from the Easter hatch that may hatch.
big_smile.png
The other egg, I am 90 percent sure that is no good, but I am happy with the live one, plus have 3 more eggs that are just past halfway of incubation.
woot.gif

Congrats.......where did you get the eggs from......i've been trying to get 5 but i've read that they stop laying eggs by march.............Congrats again...........
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom