Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

Once you fill it with eggs,watch the temps plumment for hours.Holes open or closed will depend on how much water is inside the bator,,and air circulation or not.With a still air,misting is effective as well as more surface area for the water to evaporate from,,where if a fan is used,less surface area is needed because of the air being forced over the sponges,or holding area.As eggs hatches the humidity levels rise a lot,,then they will drop off as the chicks dries off hours later.I would assume that once your eggs are all placed in the bator,,and reach 99.5 degrees,you will be worried if your preset temp now will get high enough.You may have to "tweek" a little at a time again,until all eggs are at the right temp.

big_smile.png
me me me!!

had a broody start brooding eggs around the 8th, so will be due in the last days of dec/first days of jan (i say around the 8th because the nest had 2 hens laying and i dont know for sure which day she finished laying/started brooding them)

Ok thanks everyone I think I have a handle on it enough to get started for now anyways ...I guess we will find out saturday when the eggs go in!!!

Lop333,,How many eggs are you putting in?? These are "shipped" eggs? If this is your first time hatching,and with shipped eggs,,what are your expectations as far as hatch rate goes? I have bought eggs that have been shipped to me from California,,to the west and New York on the east,,some results were very,very poor,,I would have been able to build a nice sized bonfire with the $$ bills that was wasted,,,but then there are the few breeders,,that no matter how the postal service beats up their package,,no matter what new scientific devices they use tomake sure whats inside the package isn't enriched uranium,or a weapon of mass destruction,,I still have gotten over 80% hatch rates from,,

First of all THANK YOU EVERYONE!! I am a new member to the website, but it is the first website I go to almost everyday. I was inspired by the New Year's hatching. I already had my incubator going and decided it would be a great idea!!! I have had terrible luck with my chickens this year, and I thought it would be a great way to celebrate the NEW YEAR. Unfortunately I have no one to share my enthusiasm (except my 2 children ). I have learned how to candle the eggs and the kids got to see them move. They thought that was cool. We have been snowbound for 3 days and I have been going to the coop every hour until the hens were done laying. This morning the temp was 11 below zero before windchill. I ended up with 1 good egg. I said a prayer and put it right into the bator. I have some due to hatch Dec 23 and they are mostly from my BR hens. I can't wait. Good luck to all your New Years chicks and once again thanks to everyone for all the EGG-CELENT ADVICE !!!
thumbsup.gif

No blue laced red wyandotte eggs today,getting personal here with the Postal service when it involves my eggs,,,,,maybe late this afternoon they will be in,,,,if not,tomorrow they will go in.And Mahonri,,do you think by tonight we will have a final total of all eggs in this group? Maybe have a lottery as to the first chick born for 2010? Be the Poster Chick as it grows all year for BYC?? Known nationwide,become a household name?? The icon of the poultry world?? Jk,,,

I'm in.....just finished filling up 'bator. I was hoping for a New Year's Eve hatch for my birthday but I was lazy and didn't get them in until now.

big_smile.png

18 Welsummer
20 Marans

Last edited:
i just set 20 of my own Mutt eggs.. GSL/ polish cross... i have seen him breeding my hens so im hoping they are fertile!! didnt get anything out of the last hatch *sigh* changing a few things... fifth attempt! im not giving up!

THEY ARE IN!!!

Bator parts got here at 9AM... got it set up and running... was up to temp perfect in an hour.

Brinsea incubator got here at 9AM also... Took me until Noon to READ everything and set it up and get it going.

Eggs got here at 10AM...

I have the following in the two bators. (GQF 1588 and Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance Ex)

18 Black Copper Marans from Melissa (pasofinofarm)

14 BW/W Ameraucanas from Jean (Pips and Peeps) GOD BLESS HER she sent extras!! (38)

2 GC Marans from my own hen and roo (40)

18 BW/W Ameraucanas from my coop (52)

And the following DESIGNER CHICKENS!!!

4 BWAmeraucana X Leghorns (1 PW, 2 LB, 1 CA W) (56)

2 BW Ameraucana X Bearded Buff Laced Polish... what easter eggers will that make!! (58)

2 GC Marans X Delaware (54)

1 GC Marans X Black Star (55)

1 GC Marans X EE (58)

3 BW Ameraucana X Salmon Faverolle (61)

1 Pure Bred Partridge Cochin (62) Guess it's not really designer... hope I get a pullet!

5 BW Ameraucana X (Various B/B/S) I have 1 splash, 1 black... the 2 blues aren't laying for (67)

67 TOTAL...

How many will hatch and when will the first one hatch on January 1st?

This is worse than waiting for Christmas when you are a kid.

Maybe my uncle was right... I may need to see a shrink for Chicken addiction and recovery..
thumbsup.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif