Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

Quote:
Ditto! I'm going to try lowering my humidity too. wish me luck!
fl.gif

Good luck every one.

The humidity in my hovabator just seems to continue at about 38... I wish I had another vent.

376 hours remaining.... til hatch.

riftnreef - not really a neighbor but at least we are in the same state. I am near Centerburg, an hour or so from you. I am also new to chicken keeping and hatching and we are also having a blast.

Cloverleaf Farm - I know how you feel. I really want to candle to. I have 14 LF Buckeye eggs in for the New Year's hatch. I also have BO's and Ameraucana's in for a Christmas Hatch. I candled them last night and it was soooo hard not to candle our New Years babies. I am trying to wait until Monday.

Lift the cover off your bator,and use a spray bottle with warm(99.5) degree water,and mist over the top of the eggs with this,an then close it back up,and block the holes on top,,this willl raise the humidity and will keep it from escaping,,,or colse one hole down with tape so only half is open,,

Quote:
I"m thinking or fearing the same. i will knock it down from 55%RH to ~40-45%RH.

i'm using cotton balls to control the amount of T and humidity in 1/4" air holes. they seem to keep humidity in and allow O2 diffusion (it is understood it is more of diffusion than flow). i'm hoping it best to have lots of O2 exchange without a "wind" tunnel effect of open holes two holes are open. four others are loosely plugged with cotton. we'll see if that even mattered. the humidity may be too high.

-r

OK...I know it's early, but I had to check and see if anything was going on. I've been reading all the horror stories about shipped eggs, and I was getting a bit paranoid! So, I decided to candle some last night. My daughter held the lid, and I slid one egg out of the turner...low and behold, PERFECT! I put er back and left them alone. Now, there is the possibility that I just happened to grab the ONE egg that was growing, but at least I have some hope now! I'll post back after my 10 day candle.

I candled my Light Sussex eggs last night and had to discard one with a blood ring. The others are either too porous to see veining or have very slight veining.
fl.gif

I was so worried about my shipped eggs because we had a cold snap right after they were shipped. But, I couldn't stand it anymore and candled today. I have veining, faint, but veining in 13/14. It is still early, but I am so relieved to see something going on!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom